4X4 Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toasty55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. I would like some advice on repairing my front 4x4 problem. About a month ago I was maneuvering in a parking lot and somehow the selector switch was accidentally set to 4 hi. I heard a loud snap coming from the drivers side front axle. So every time I use 4X4 I hear constant popping. When in 4x2 there is no noise. My problem is that I live out in the country in Chile and parts take a long time to get. So any advice on might it what be? I would like to have the necessary parts on hand when I dive into this to avoid having my truck down for a long period of time waiting for parts.

Richard
2010 Ram 1500

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sounds like it's a snapped cv axle. 4x4 is likely not working at all Either. You can take it apart but my guess is the cage in the outer axle is broken.

OP
OP
T

toasty55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The snapping sound is only when it is in 4X4, in 2wd everything is fine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The snapping sound is only when it is in 4X4, in 2wd everything is fine.
Have you actually got under it and looked it over for anything out of the oridinary.That should be your first thing to do,then come on here with pictures of anything that doesn't look right

OP
OP
T

toasty55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything looks normal, nothing out of the ordinary. I drive the truck daily in 2wd.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Then it could be what Brandon is describing a broken CV cage. You could try jacking it up and trying to rotate the drivers front tire,and see if you can replicate the noise by hand,quite often if you have a broken cv you can get a feel for it by hand

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could be the axle shift Collar which slides to engage the pass side CV axle. Perhaps that collar broke (#7 in diagram below). Or the shift motor fork broke and the collar is not in the correct position. An inspection should reveal it (or another issue).

1711670535791.png

Scroll down to #7 in THIS link.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would put it up on jackstands and remove the shift motor assembly and have a look. Rotate the wheel/s ..see if there is any damage to the area behind the shift motor. The bearing there could be failing too.

Also, Double-check the wheel bearings. If need be, check front axles, front driveshaft ...work your way back to the xfer case if you need to. Perhaps, you might need to remove the front diff cover and look into the gears. But start by removing the front axle shift motor and look there :waytogo: