1986 dodge w150 4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jw1424616

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a 1986 dodge w150 and the 4x4 works in 4 hi but it’s really hard to put into 4 low, I have to keep messing with it and moving the truck to get it to go down into neutral or 4 low, I also notice that the shifter is all the way against the dash in 2 hi. Once I have it in 4 low it pops out. Does anyone know what the issue is here? Thanks

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Worn shifter linkage.... Worn shift forks...

OP
OP
J

Jw1424616

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, I was hoping it wasn’t too serious because the guy said it had a new transfer case

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
U2SLOW is probably correct on his statement .. I'M Sure he knows more on that transfer case than I do. But on my Ford Bronco dana 20 Mine was just poorly adjusted on it's arms .. & I bought a new design JB Twin stick shifter about 12 years ago & It was 10 times better than the stock ford shifter . Made mine very easy to get into & out of gear .Only time I got it in trouble was when I had to Get back on pavement before being able to Shift back to 2wd . I finally had to lift my axle off the ground .. & Man did it pop hard when it came out . Many years ago & has never done again .
But you might get it on a lift & get someone '' if your not sure yourself '' on how to adjust it adjusted.
hope that makes since.