1995 Pontiac Firehawk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. Still loving my Power Wagon!

But today my question is about a sports car. We have a Firehawk that has been sitting in the garage for about a year or so. It was started once about 3 months ago. Driven to the end of the street & back. I was told there was smoke coming out the exhaust. It sounded pretty rough. I tried to start it the other day. But it wouldn’t turn over. It’s a brand new good battery. I Tried to jump it, still the same- won’t turn over. I’m thinking it’s probably the fuel has sat too long & is bad. Does that sound logical? How long does it have to sit to go bad? And how difficult is it to drain the fuel in a car like this? Is it a job that I can most likely do myself, with simple instructions? Or should I take it to a mechanic shop? One last question... I know these cars are pretty rare & special. Should I be carefully selective to the type of mechanic I look for? Other than this immediate problem, the car is in excellent shape & CRAZY LOW miles for its age. I appreciate all advice & many thanks in advance [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off buy some Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment from Amazon it comes in a 8 Oz bottle pour it in the tank and get some 93 octane fresh fuel and see how that works drive that around and when the tank gets low pour another bottle in it, typically fuel starts turning 6-12 months, the higher octane level will stay good longer, check your cap and rotor, plug wires and Plugs for starters, and all your hoses and belt.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also how's the battery positive& negative cable on both ends, and you said it won't crank over, you can jumper the connections on the starter, jump between the positive from the battery and the ignition wire on the solenoid (smaller wire), that jumps out the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch, you also may have a bad started motor, And please post some pics of the Fine Automobile!!!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
very good advice to start with has all been posted above. Can you confirm the engine is getting fuel and spark?? Wouldnt hurt to throw some fresh fuel and fuel treatment in it as mentioned and spark plugs. Plugs are a bit tough to get to when you get close to the firewall on those F bodies.

Also if you do go to a mechanic you dont need anyone too special. The car trim level is rare but the powertrain is very basic and common. It is 5.7 LT1. They were in all the V8 camaros and firebirds of that generation and are just a good ol pushrod with fuel injection. If a mechanic cant work on that, they aren't a mechanic.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
"It wouldn't turn over" is not a fuel problem, not firing could be...…...
Does it click or make any other noises when trying to start?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not nearly so desirable as the '92 lol.......sounds like you have the dreaded ethanol fuel has sat too long problem. That however wouldn't cause it to not turn over (lets clarify terms, turning over means it will spin, fire or start means it actually starts and runs). If it won't actually spin, you have an electrical problem (battery, starter, wiring in between) or you have a leaky injector that has caused it to hydrolock. You can put a socket on the crank bolt to see if it can be spun by hand. If yes then you can look elsewhere. If it's stuck then you have bigger problems.
If it won't fire/start, fuel that has been sitting around that long (if stabilizer wasn't put in it) can definitely cause this problem. Also if you have fouled spark plugs or that if problematic crank mounted distributor those engines were known for is acting up then that'll do it too.

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you!! I’m heading to Amazon right away. A fuel additive... why didn’t I think of that!! Lol. Really appreciate the great help. Many many thanks

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
"It wouldn't turn over" is not a fuel problem, not firing could be...…...
Does it click or make any other noises when trying to start?

When I turn the key it sounds like it’s going to start. It just doesn’t make that final turn to continue running while not turning the key. Sorry if I’m not describing it correctly.... [emoji2368]

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your starter motor staying engaged while cranking, If not you can be having trouble with you bendex clutch in the starter, you may to have to put a rebuilt starter on.

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not nearly so desirable as the '92 lol.......sounds like you have the dreaded ethanol fuel has sat too long problem. That however wouldn't cause it to not turn over (lets clarify terms, turning over means it will spin, fire or start means it actually starts and runs). If it won't actually spin, you have an electrical problem (battery, starter, wiring in between) or you have a leaky injector that has caused it to hydrolock. You can put a socket on the crank bolt to see if it can be spun by hand. If yes then you can look elsewhere. If it's stuck then you have bigger problems.
If it won't fire/start, fuel that has been sitting around that long (if stabilizer wasn't put in it) can definitely cause this problem. Also if you have fouled spark plugs or that if problematic crank mounted distributor those engines were known for is acting up then that'll do it too.

Hi, as long as I’m turning the key it sounds like it’s going to start. But as soon as I release the key it stops. So it’s fires...but won’t start. (Hope I’m getting it right .... ). Lol. Thank you!!!!

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is your starter motor staying engaged while cranking, If not you can be having trouble with you bendex clutch in the starter, you may to have to put a rebuilt starter on.

I’m not sure. How do I tell? Sorry

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you hold the key on to crank and it disengages when its cranking there is something wrong with the starter, Bendex clutch in the starter.

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
414e9f89a29e1547322b19d1be8928b9.jpg
Sorry it’s not a better photo. Not enough room in the garage. Lol. I’ll try to get some better pics tomorrow. [emoji4] can I post a video here of it trying to start?

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you hold the key on to crank and it disengages when its cranking there is something wrong with the starter, Bendex clutch in the starter.

As long as I hold the key “on” it tries to start. It only stops when I release the key back. It doesn’t disengage while cranking.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you verified spark? Are your spark plugs in good condition? If it's ALMOST catching to start then it does sound like it could be fuel (or lack thereof) and/or weak/non-existent spark.

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
b5e041c25034be7a392be7a1cda013ba.jpg
77a5f9c9a0e1f90a9158c5913efab2e9.jpg

Crazy low miles....[emoji106][emoji16]

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you verified spark? Are your spark plugs in good condition? If it's ALMOST catching to start then it does sound like it could be fuel (or lack thereof) and/or weak/non-existent spark.

I had AAA come out to the house to jump it. When this first started. Thinking it sat too long & battery drained too low. But it wouldn’t jump start for him either. I believe he checked the spark plugs. He suggested it might be bad fuel. That’s when I came here... to find out what to DO if it is. It has just over 1/2 tank of fuel.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the fuel is ****, then you have to drain the tank; the rest of the system definitely wouldn't hurt.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try the Star Tron first with a couple of gallons of 93 octane and see if that helps, If not you need the tank emptied and fuel system flushed, WOW thats a LT1 engine 4 bolt main allot of HP and Torque is it a 5 speed standard or Automatic, my son had a Firebird Trans Am, and that thing was like a Drag Racer, those spark plugs aren't easy to get at, but doable from underneath.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try the Star Tron first with a couple of gallons of 93 octane and see if that helps, If not you need the tank emptied and fuel system flushed, WOW thats a LT1 engine 4 bolt main allot of HP and Torque is it a 5 speed standard or Automatic, my son had a Firebird Trans Am, and that thing was like a Drag Racer, those spark plugs aren't easy to get at, but doable from underneath.
It's a circa 1995 LT engine with that ****** crank mounted distributor....stock was 300hp, SLP got 15hp more out of it. Your truck has almost 100hp more lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990