1996 1500 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
So, I've had my 2nd gen for almost a year, and I'm already into a major rebuild. Inspection wasn't due until June this year, so I just got through the winter without doing any major work. I knew the frame needed attention, but to what extent I wasn't sure (rolling around the floor in negative 30F isn't on my to do list).
I swapped my trusty 97 Wrangler 2.5 for a 1996 Ram 1500 318 in October last year. The Jeep was great, but I just needed a truck to haul things - winter fuel mainly. So When the inspection came around it failed spectacularly!! The rear of the frame was like swiss cheese... I don't think it had been undercoated in 17 of its 18 years.
The truck didn't owe me a dime so I figured what the hell, let's get her rebuilt.
So here's my pictures so far in the Album: http://www.ramforum.com/members/darrent-albums-1996_rebuild.html

I just have a few more bits to do on the frame; mount the bumper, mount the fuel tank, clean out all the crap and give it a good coat of undercoating/frame treatment.

Then I have rockers to replace, front ball joints, repair the transmission cross member, and fit my plow :naughty:

Then it's onto cosmetics.... So far, the grand spend total is about $450.....
Thanks to a buddy of mine, I managed to acquire all the steel I needed for a 24 of beer..... albeit 3/16" instead of 1/8" - but hell, that'll take a while to rot out!!

I'll post more as I make progress!

DT

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Finally got the last of the frame welding done. had to remove the transmission crossmember and stitch the frame around the mount points.
Cleaned up the cross member, and rebuilt a body mount.
Back together and ready for inspection....

Attachments

• 20140907.jpg
    20140907.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 26