1997 2500 5.9 v8 dies on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a 1997 2500 with the 5.9 v8 in it. Great truck around town but does not like highway driving at all. I bought the truck in January with 94k on it and have just recently hit 100k. Problem started when I was on my 100 mile ride home from vacation. Truck randomly died on me on a major highway. Waited a minute and restarted. Truck ran really rough. Sat for a few more minutes and it started up and ran fine. When I got home (10-15 miles at a time because it kept dying) I did a full tune up and plenum gasket. (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil and o2 sensors). Truck ran a lot better with all this done. Was fine on the highway but the furthest I took it was right around 30 miles. One day it happened again. Luckily where I was I knew the backroads to get home. Truck runs great around town still. The other night I replaced the crank sensor. Took the truck 50+ miles on the highway and it was all good and well then all of a sudden it died again. Same thing. Started up rough after immediately but after sitting for 5 min it runs fine. Not too sure what to replace next. Doesn’t throw any codes or lights. All electronics stay on when truck dies (radio, lights, gauge cluster) any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mattd854c50b918026bdaf93671728166530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check Fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Also.. What brand ignition coil?turned out to be a bad

OP
OP
M

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Check Fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Also.. What brand ignition coil?turned out to be a bad

I used all bwd parts for everything Execpt plugs. The plugs are autolites haven’t checked fuel pressure yet. I think I may have to take a ride on the highway with a gauge hooked up to test that. Thank you

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
I went through this. One of our very wise Canadian members helped me fix it. There are 2 temp sensors on this truck. A grey one behind the alternator (for the dash gauge) a black one behind the left side of the ac compressor. (For the pcm).

When the black one goes bad, it will not throw codes, its not traceable by a scanner. Itll cause your truck to intermittently die on its own. Normally can take 10min to 45min for it to run again.....

I thought he was pulling my leg but its fixed 2 of mine so far that did the same thing.

OP
OP
M

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I went through this. One of our very wise Canadian members helped me fix it. There are 2 temp sensors on this truck. A grey one behind the alternator (for the dash gauge) a black one behind the left side of the ac compressor. (For the pcm).

When the black one goes bad, it will not throw codes, its not traceable by a scanner. Itll cause your truck to intermittently die on its own. Normally can take 10min to 45min for it to run again.....

I thought he was pulling my leg but its fixed 2 of mine so far that did the same thing.

Thank you for the reply. I will replace this and post if it has fixed my issue. I don’t drive highway very often (thankfully) but when I do it is a pain to do in my truck. Other than that though it’s an amazing truck. For the size (being on a 3.5” lift and 33s) it actually gets pretty good mileage with the 4.10s but I only see that good mileage on the highway. Hoping this will fix my issue.