1997 5.2 oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpstang65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not currently a dodge owner, but am looking at buying a 1997 1500. It has a 5.2 v8 with 161000 miles on it. The owner informed me that there is a small oil leak. The oil level never goes below the fill line on the dipstick and they put a quart of oil in between oil changes to keep it full. I looked underneath and there is oil residue on the oil pan, around the oil filter. I could see could see some oil on the ground but couldn't identify where the leak is. I know I need to have it checked out, but Bri g a holiday I wouldn't get in quick. I thought someone might have thoughts if this is minor or hiding major problems. Thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Could be a lot of things. Rear main, valve cover, loose filter, filter pad, oil pan, timing cover, front crank seal. If they're using conventional oil, best way to find it is change to synthetic and powerwash the undercarriage and bottom of engine with degreaser. Synthetic has smaller molecules that has a tendency to find the leaks that conventional might hide when dirt hits and greases it up. A good clean engine will make that all easier.

I will say that none of the leaks I mentioned are really all that bad to fix. Rear main and timing cover are probably the worst 2 but they're both pretty easily doable in the truck.

OP
OP
C

cpstang65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. Had the truck checked out. It had a few different leaks but none that deterred me from buying the truck.

96_CalFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
What ended up being the leaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk