1st gen lift pump upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
6.7 Cummins / Allison & 5.9 / NV4500
I posted part of this question in the other 1st gen area but I thought maybe some experts would check this sun forum more often. I have a first gen that has a fuel cell instead of the factory tank so I think all the frame fuel lines were replaced on the original build. My motor is losing prime and is getting hard to start if it sits at all. In my reading I’m starting to suspect the fuel pump is going bad and I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to go ahead and do the upgrade (buy the kit) and install the newer pump. Has anyone else does this mod? Mostly stock motor. I think it’s got a fuel plate and some timing mods. It’s always been the reliable first start rig and I want to get it back to that.

Is also recently started over heating. Puking coolant but the bottom of the radiator is cold. So I’m going to do a flush and a new factory thermostat. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
If you are talking about the diaphragm lift pump, yes, they go bad. They are easy to replace and not expensive.
If the radiator is cold on the bottom, it's clogged and "might" be ok if you can flush it. Or you may have to replace.