2000 Ram Cummins beach rims and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I want to get new rims and tires for my 2nd gen 2500. He has stock rims and LT265-75R16 Michelin Defenders on him. It does well on the road, but on the beach, the weight of the diesel makes the front of the truck dig in and rear bounce, even below 20 lbs. I was thinking about going up to a 17" rim, but I have no idea which tires to buy to get some float on the sand. Is anyone out on the beach a bunch with a cummins and tires they like?

OP
OP

2000beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Update on this question. I am thinking that a lower load range tire will give me better performance on the sand. I am thinking that this could be a really bad idea if I forget and overload the truck, but I am not certain. If I went from the stock E to C is it certain death? Or is it OK as long as I don't tow.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The problem with any Cummins truck is the almost 1000k extra pounds over the front axle the engine adds.
If you want better sand capabilities you need to go wider with the tires and rims but the front axle weight will still be a hindrance. Adding bed weight might help also

OP
OP

2000beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I may give up on the sand. The Cummins weight does cause problems. Thanks