2003 4.7 Issue idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jademoon1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2003 ram 1500, 4.7, Quad cab, 2 wheel drive. Was running fine, then started running a bit rough. Checked codes and this is what we had. 0551,0441,0307,0340,0335 The 2 power steering codes we have had awhile so check engine light was always on.

Hubby had open heart surgery so I was in charge of doing the climbing and work. He suggested we do plug and coils to try and resolve cylinder 7 code. When taking off the plastic box that has the 4.7 on it there was a good puddle of oil in the bottom of it. Like enough that when u tipped it sideways it drained out. I asked of that was normal He's like no but we will deal with that later, We continued on To Change the plugs and coil packs, plugs were toast. Got old out, new came pre- gapped but checked them anyways, started it up and sounded alot better but the rpm was at 400-600. Which before we messed with anything it sat around 1000 on idle. Went to test drive and there is a stalling issue. It idles fine most of the time, but stalls alot. All codes were removed of course working on it. After running a while we thought some codes at least the 2 original power steering ones would show up. But no, still no codes.

Took it to the shop and they had it for close to a month and never figured anything out either. Told us to try the PCM but after looking into it that's a at least another grand for the PCM and then has to go to a dealership to be programmed correct? When we picked up the truck from the shop it blew out a ton of smoke which it did not do before but has since not smoked anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems like something so simple as plugs and coils turned into a nightmare

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excuse me if I get anything wrong, I haven't had the pleasure of playing with the 4.7L ever. So here's what we know from before the plug change and code reset so far -

P0551 DODGE Code - Power Steering Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0441 DODGE Code - EVAP Purge System Performance
P0307 DODGE Code - Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected
P0340 DODGE Code - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0335 DODGE Code - Crankshaft Position Sensor

You have a puddle of oil collected in the resonator (the box before the throttle body). Possible buildup from being left in place for a long time or blow-by.

P0441 possible causes; EVAP purge solenoid vacuum supply, EVAP purge hose/tube obstruction, EVAP purge solenoid vacuum supply-evap system leak, Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

P0335 possible causes; Faulty crankshaft position sensor, Crankshaft position sensor harness is open or shorted, Crankshaft position sensor circuit poor electrical connection, Signal plate may be damaged, Starter motor may be faulty, Starting system circuit, Dead or weak battery

P0340 possible causes; Faulty Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted, Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection, Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

So, near as I can tell at this point, you don't have a PCM issue. That would be the first shot in a parts cannon volley, if they're willing to eat it if they are wrong, let them do it, otherwise don't. Ask them how they arrived at the conclusion that the problem is the PCM.

You have listed so many issues, I can't really give you good advice on how to proceed beyond what I've already stated. The problems could be an electrical short and/or a bad EVAP purge valve and/or a faulty PCM and/or a bad TIPM and/or...

OP
OP
Jademoon1981

Jademoon1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just thought maybe I missed something simple. I mean the coils and plugs were simple. Like almost to simple. I thought with the cylinder 7 misfire, I'd start with coils and plugs. I'm not to worried about getting all the codes corrected just didn't know where to go next just to get it to not stall. I'm a handy lady but I'm no mechanic. So have no idea where to go next for this stalling deal. Any suggestions on what to try next?

I'm not afraid to try anything at this point. I mean the way it stands it's just sitting and will be scrapped. And really don't understand why the codes didn't return. Of course I'd like to go from the obvious / cheaper to more expensive. But no the shop wasn't going to eat the PCM issue and told us that he couldn't do it anyways that was a dealer trip. Dealer is about an hour away so it would have to be towed there. It's not running well enough to go on the highway.

Not sure if this matters, we ran it a bit in the driveway yesterday and it sounds sort of like a tiny hiss on the driverside when standing in front of the truck. I'm gonna try and find that today after work.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air, fuel, spark; those are required for proper combustion.

The PCM is not JUST a dealer thing, we have a parts store here that does PCM flashes, but I do understand it as a liability issue. The PCM can be pulled and taken to the dealership for them to flash, call ahead first to be sure that is an option. As far as a new PCM cost goes, a quick search, and I found them costing $140-$200 online and the dealerships here charge around $140 to do a flash.