2003 dodge ram 2500 cummins rebuild will not start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirbender05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins hi output
I rebuild the engine at 15 and has been a year I have a 5.9 Cummins hi output the issue that started was a bad ring in cylinder 6 so everything work it just blew smoke bad and need boring so I got new pistons, injectors, turbo, head bolts, bearings ,piston rings new batteries, new starter. and it will not start it will start on wd40 but will not stay running I changed the pressure relief valve that did not work then got a scan tool got codes p0336,p2509,p0193 it told me p2509 was low battery I charged them and it is gone and p0193 is a fuel rail pressure sensor I replaced it and its gone the only one that's left is p0336 and that's crankshaft position senor a circuit. The crank speed is good and I check for fuel from the lift pump and there was a stream of fuel there is humming noise coming by the fuel filter area that I have never heard before.

thank you

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you are throwing a bunch of parts at this without locating the underlying issue.

What is your fuel pressure at the rail? If you don't have a tester for that, go to your local O'Reilly's/AutoZone/etc. and rent a fuel pressure tester. My brother had a 2001 with the straight six turbo Cummins (so yours may be different) and from what I remember he had a lift pump and an injector pump. You need to check the pressure at the rail to make sure the fuel pressure is within specifications.

Another thing to check is your injectors. Are they plugged in? Are they spraying like they should be?

I don't have a diesel, so someone else here may be able to give you better advice.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
SirBender, A lot of us can't give you advice, but we're interested whether you've solved the issue or not. Let us know what you came up with,