2003 Ram 1500 rear lowering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViperOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m wanting to lower the rear and it appears the simplest is 2 inch shackles. There seems to be a huge number of sources. Any recommendations or who to stay away from? Will this effect the handling? Will the ride become harder? I read somewhere maybe on this forum lowering with 2 inch shackles will lower the rear by 1 1/2 but increases the cab to bed gap. Is this true? I don’t haul any type of loads and I do a lot of highway or Interstate driving. I’m having a tough time visioning that 2 inches will make a huge difference in the stance.

Last edited:

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2" shackles might have been close to 2", probably 1.75" at least, but I didn't measure before/after. They leveled the truck out fairly decently. I still have them laying in the shop. Don't remember the brand I used, probably whatever was cheapest at the time. They're all basically the same thing. Handling won't get worse, it could only get a hair better with a lower ride height. Cab to bed gap won't be affected, they're both mounted to the frame and the frame isn't going to change. For me, I can pretty much eyeball trucks and tell if they have shackles or not, I've done those on a few trucks and can spot the subtle bit of lowering.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the McCaughey's complete kit on mine which consists of lowering spindles for the front and an axle flip kit for the rear.
I did have to upgrade to performance shocks to keep it from bottoming out in severe dips. My camber and alignment were never effected either.
Highly recommended.
These are 22"x10" wheels, by the way.
Mine drives like it's on rails, ride is what you'd expect with a lowered vehicle, but doesn't jar your teeth out though.
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG

Bones84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr
I put 2" rear shackles on my 03 quad cab and I could barely tell a difference. So I threw those out and went with a 4/7 drop.20210619_161625.jpg