Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 Ram 1500 rear lowering question

Discussion in 'Lowered' started by ViperOne, Apr 25, 2021.

1. ViperOne

ViperOne Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I’m wanting to lower the rear and it appears the simplest is 2 inch shackles. There seems to be a huge number of sources. Any recommendations or who to stay away from? Will this effect the handling? Will the ride become harder? I read somewhere maybe on this forum lowering with 2 inch shackles will lower the rear by 1 1/2 but increases the cab to bed gap. Is this true? I don’t haul any type of loads and I do a lot of highway or Interstate driving. I’m having a tough time visioning that 2 inches will make a huge difference in the stance.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. CorDog009

CorDog009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    My 2" shackles might have been close to 2", probably 1.75" at least, but I didn't measure before/after. They leveled the truck out fairly decently. I still have them laying in the shop. Don't remember the brand I used, probably whatever was cheapest at the time. They're all basically the same thing. Handling won't get worse, it could only get a hair better with a lower ride height. Cab to bed gap won't be affected, they're both mounted to the frame and the frame isn't going to change. For me, I can pretty much eyeball trucks and tell if they have shackles or not, I've done those on a few trucks and can spot the subtle bit of lowering.

ViperOne likes this.
  3. Tray Burge

Tray Burge Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I did the McCaughey's complete kit on mine which consists of lowering spindles for the front and an axle flip kit for the rear.
    I did have to upgrade to performance shocks to keep it from bottoming out in severe dips. My camber and alignment were never effected either.
    Highly recommended.
    These are 22"x10" wheels, by the way.
    Mine drives like it's on rails, ride is what you'd expect with a lowered vehicle, but doesn't jar your teeth out though.
    IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG

ViperOne likes this.