2004 ram 2500 5.7 crank no start with other electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLAKEC3686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning everyone. Hope you all are having a fantastic morning. I am currently watching it snow and listening to my 2yr old snore over a baby monitor lol. On to my issue. I just purchased a 2004 ram 2500 5.7 pickup that has a crank no start problem. Im having it towed to my house later today and figured id see what you all think before i dive into it. So hears the scoop. truck was running fine then the headlights starter acting up (low beam only on driver side and high beam only on passenger side) after approx a week of this happening truck died and would not restart. I looked at this truck a week ago and we put a battery in it and it fired right up for approx 5 mins then shut down. i checked and found no fuel pressure. also noted when truck did start you could hear the fuel pump. after it died when keyed on you could not hear the fuel pump. i checked the fuse and it had power. i attempted to jump the fuel pump relay with no luck. what is odd is that i have no power at the fuel pump relay at either pins 30 or 87. if i jump power to 87 i get nothing but if i jump power to 30 i get all sorts of clicks from other relays and on the dash i get an abs light and i think an engine brake light but nothing else. i have not scanned it myself but the owner put a scan tool on it and stated there were no codes. Im thinking the integrated power module may have failed but im not sure. i bought this truck cheap and am hoping i can get it running to pull my camp trailer. Has anyone had a similar issue? i did check all the grounds on both passenger and driver side fender with no issues found. any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
TIPM, or dodges answer to the fuse box.

OP
OP
B

BLAKEC3686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that's what I'm leaning towards. I wont know for sure until i can get the truck home and actually start diagnosing it. I picked the truck up super cheap and i figure even if its the tipm or something else like the pcm ill still be money ahead and can always resell it if the wife doesn't like it. it just seems odd that it actually ran for a good 5 mins before it died and i could never get it to start again.

Technician07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L turbo
May be the crankshaft position sensor. Cheap and easy to swap out and check… i had a similar issue with long cranking to start and intermittent no start condition, and it was caught out as a crankshaft sensor error when we were tuning the pcm. It only showed the bad sensor in the tuning software and not as an error code in the factory pcm. Swapped in an OEM replacement and problems solved. No further issues and it’s been 3 years on that new sensor