2005 1500 4.7L cranks, start, sputters and dies.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
No CEL at the moment, but it did have P0456, which I cleared, which made the condition worse.

Prior to the code presenting, the exhaust smelled rich to me, and it seemed to be all of a sudden getting crap for gas mileage on that last little highway jaunt. I made it home after the CEL came on, but it was trying to die the whole way.

After I cleared the code, it starts, RPM around 1000, as soon as I touch the gas pedal it will sputter and die. Plus I smell a lot of gas, but can't find an actual fuel leak.

WWYD?
Thanks!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No CEL at the moment, but it did have P0456, which I cleared, which made the condition worse.

Prior to the code presenting, the exhaust smelled rich to me, and it seemed to be all of a sudden getting crap for gas mileage on that last little highway jaunt. I made it home after the CEL came on, but it was trying to die the whole way.

After I cleared the code, it starts, RPM around 1000, as soon as I touch the gas pedal it will sputter and die. Plus I smell a lot of gas, but can't find an actual fuel leak.

WWYD?
Thanks!
First things first. Verify that you have proper fuel pressure with a manual fuel pressure gauge.

Then, get a scan tool connected to this truck and take a look at the Short Term Fuel Trim and the Long Term Fuel Trim to see what the PCM is doing. Without a scan tool you won't be able to make very much headway in the form of diagnostics.

OP
OP
bugnutz

bugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V-8
UPDATE: P0456 had nothing to do with the crank/sputter/die mode. The fuel pump had gone out! I was just fortunate that I made it home that day.

About 2 weeks later the code came back. I had already replaced the gas cap, so replaced the purge solenoid. About 2 weeks later the code is back again lol. Next?