2006 Windshield Wiper Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwb377

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having an issue with my son's '06...I did a search, but didn't see another with the exact problem.

The wipers will turn on using the multifunction switch, but Intermittent doesn't work...they stay on at the constant setting. Sometimes they will turn off using the switch (not in the normal down position, though, they stay in whatever position they're in when you turn them off...you have to time the "off" just right)...but other times they'll stay on even when you turn the switch to "Off". Eventually you can play with the switch and they'll turn off (when they do that, they go to the down position on their own).

They've worked fine until this...I parked the truck for about 2 weeks before it was driven again and this suddenly started happening. Does this sound like a bad multi-function switch?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m gonna vote on the wiper motor being bad over the switch. There are little sensors and switches in that motor that when they go bad, make the wipers do crazy things.

Most common is there is a “home” position switch, which basically tells the motor that the wipers are down, and that they can “park” there. When this switch goes bad it will make them run constantly until it picks up what position it’s in, or they can park themselves at random places on the windshield. The fact that when you turn them off, they sometimes stop in a weird position, tells me that it’s probably the motor, not the multi function switch.

Mine started parking straight up and down and randomly running constantly a few months back. It was a bad motor. Picked one up from rockauto for pretty cheap and it’s been good ever since then.

BAIL197

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It shouldnt it be your wiper motor. Has to do with the switch. so tear that steering column apart. My 04 was doing the same thing.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
kwb377, let us know what you find out.

MosleyJu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
My 08 was doing the same thing, turns out there was a recall on the wiper motor. Had the local stealership complete the recall work and now they work flawlessly