2007 dodge ram Hemi, no CEL on dash, but multiple engine codes on reader.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

journier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I just bought this truck, Engine sounds great, no loss of power. No oil burning, No headgasket leak.

159k on odometer.

However, when i was buying it, I brought a code reader with me and pulled up the following codes.

P3401-mds solenoid 1
P3425- cylinder 4 solenoid
P3441- cylinder 6 solenoid
P3440- cylinder 5 exhaust valve control circuit high

All of them related to MDS is what ive read up on it. It seems as if my entire Solenoid set has failed under the intake.

How likely is this to occur by chance? and do you think its the solenoids failed, or someone disabled the MDS purposely?

Regarding the Check Engine Light, The thing wont light up, I did the dash diagnostic, and no light comes on, Is that a bulb i can replace myself, or i gotta buy a whole new dash, Something funky with this as well.

Thanks guys, Have a great day.
Journier

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The MDS issue is not uncommon and you'll have to replace or remove all those MDS solenoids.

Not sure about the check engine light configuration.

OP
OP
J

journier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
quick question, if i buy a tuner, than can disable MDS, will the MDS solenoids still fire codes to the system?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
quick question, if i buy a tuner, than can disable MDS, will the MDS solenoids still fire codes to the system?

If the solenoids have failed then the valvetrain won't operate properly. Default position is off, but that's only as long as the solenoid isn't broken/assed up. Turns into a mechanical thing and not an electronic one. You need to pull your intake manifold and check the harness first. Rodents love to climb under there and nest up in the foam padding underneath, they tend to chew on wiring. If the wiring is intact then the solenoids are AFU. You'll need to replace them. The usual trick is to tap the top with a deadblow hammer to try and break the oil seal on the o-rings. Generally though expect to break them and have to extract what's left (ask me how I know LOL).

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
So I just bought this truck, Engine sounds great, no loss of power. No oil burning, No headgasket leak.

159k on odometer.

However, when i was buying it, I brought a code reader with me and pulled up the following codes.

P3401-mds solenoid 1
P3425- cylinder 4 solenoid
P3441- cylinder 6 solenoid
P3440- cylinder 5 exhaust valve control circuit high

All of them related to MDS is what ive read up on it. It seems as if my entire Solenoid set has failed under the intake.

How likely is this to occur by chance? and do you think its the solenoids failed, or someone disabled the MDS purposely?

Regarding the Check Engine Light, The thing wont light up, I did the dash diagnostic, and no light comes on, Is that a bulb i can replace myself, or i gotta buy a whole new dash, Something funky with this as well.

Thanks guys, Have a great day.
Journier

The CEL is a LED built into the gauges, it honestly shouldnt burn out, ive never heard of one doing it, however i have heard of people pulling fuses and other things to make the dummy lights not come on, ive went to buy trucks in the past and ran into identical issues, if you turn the key to on and dont see the CEL light at least come on and go back off, then the dealer you bought the truck from probably did something to hide the light just to make a sell

OP
OP
J

journier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The CEL is a LED built into the gauges, it honestly shouldnt burn out, ive never heard of one doing it, however i have heard of people pulling fuses and other things to make the dummy lights not come on, ive went to buy trucks in the past and ran into identical issues, if you turn the key to on and dont see the CEL light at least come on and go back off, then the dealer you bought the truck from probably did something to hide the light just to make a sell

I would agree with you that I think something is fishy with the CEL not coming on. I didnt notice no CEL when i initially bought it, but my thought is, does anyone know what fuses or wires to look for that would be changed to cause a no CEL to turn on. Like I said even the dash diagnostic didnt make it light up, which makes me think it truelly burned out, or was somehow removed.

I have been googling dodge ram 3rd gen no CEL light, and literally cant find a single person with the same issue. You guys are my last chance before i drop 50- 100$ on a new (used) gauge cluster after i pull the old one out to make sure there wasnt any funny business with hiding it by cutting a wire or pulling a fuse.

Also, all other lights on the dash do work and light up appropriately, literally just the CEL is out.

Odd situation. But the truck was a decent deal in my area and I knew it was throwing engine codes before i bought it. Just didnt notice the CEL not lighting up at ignition sadly.

Also i wanna let you guys know, thanks alot for all the information, providing some great help here.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I would agree with you that I think something is fishy with the CEL not coming on. I didnt notice no CEL when i initially bought it, but my thought is, does anyone know what fuses or wires to look for that would be changed to cause a no CEL to turn on. Like I said even the dash diagnostic didnt make it light up, which makes me think it truelly burned out, or was somehow removed.

I have been googling dodge ram 3rd gen no CEL light, and literally cant find a single person with the same issue. You guys are my last chance before i drop 50- 100$ on a new (used) gauge cluster after i pull the old one out to make sure there wasnt any funny business with hiding it by cutting a wire or pulling a fuse.

Also, all other lights on the dash do work and light up appropriately, literally just the CEL is out.

Odd situation. But the truck was a decent deal in my area and I knew it was throwing engine codes before i bought it. Just didnt notice the CEL not lighting up at ignition sadly.

Also i wanna let you guys know, thanks alot for all the information, providing some great help here.

They could have pulled the face off the gauges and put a piece of tape over the LED, if the other lights are coming on then the wires havent been tampered with

OP
OP
J

journier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They could have pulled the face off the gauges and put a piece of tape over the LED, if the other lights are coming on then the wires havent been tampered with
Good point guess ill be pulling the dash and seeing if i can figure out if its been played with. Thanks for the idea!