2007 Ram 2500 5.7 No Start Good Battery/Starter Possible Electrical Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yourpalbigal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys first post on here. I recently picked up a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7l Hemi Mega Cab with 150k miles on it. It has had a new motor put in it due to oil pump failure on the old one. So, since I bought the truck, it’s been having a starting issue. Sometimes when I would go to start it, the starter would just click. I could usually get it started by putting the truck in neutral and turning the key, but sometimes I would need to turn it off and on about 5-10 times in neutral before it would start. I replaced the starter thinking that would fix the issue but it’s still did the same thing. Fast forward about a month to today… I stopped and got gas at the gas station, went to start it, and instead of it clicking once like it usually does, it turned over for a second and then sounded like the starter slipped off the flywheel and now it won’t even make an effort to try and start. I’m getting no voltage at the starter. I removed the starter, checked the flywheel to make sure it wasn’t damaged at all, and manually applied 12v to the starter to make sure it wasn’t a starter issue. I believe my issue is electrical somewhere. Some other issues I’ve had- cruise control doesn’t work, light will come on when I press the button on the steering wheel, but turns off when I hit “set”. Blower motor would only work on high, until this issue happened today, I noticed it works on every level now (in accessory mode). Unsure if that’s related or not. Could this be a TIPM issue? I have already taken my TIPM out and taken it apart and cleaned it. Everything looked good on the PCB. If I buy a new or used from the scrapyard TIPM is there programming that needs to be done to it before it will be compatible with my truck? Also I have replaced the battery and ignition switch as well. Still having this issue. If anyone has any idea of what I could check I would appreciate anyone’s input. Also I have removed and cleaned all the grounds that I could find easily. Maybe there is another somewhere I can try to clean?

OP
OP
Y

Yourpalbigal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update- replaced TIPM. Started right up about 4 times before it started doing the same thing again

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have the starter bench tested. Even though it was replaced it's possible you got a bum starter. Also sometimes starters will work fine on a bench test but will fail in a vehicle.

What I would also recommend is check your grounds, and check the wiring harness that runs down the front of your engine block. It runs to the left of the water pump to those sensors, then continues down and goes back between the oil filter and the oil pan. That harness is notorious for grounding out on the block where it heads back. That part of the harness goes to the knock sensor and the crank sensor. I suspect this is actually the cause of all these people complaining about their trucks doing a cllong crank no start. I know it caused my truck to go into limp mode when I hit a bump, then later caused my truck to shut off. It may also be part of why your truck won't crank. I can't say for sure but with 150k miles on your truck it wouldn't hurt to check it out anyway.

As for the blower motor there is a Blower Motoro Control Module under your dash on the passenger side just to then left of the blower motor. Those tend to go bad. Mine was bad, only low and high worked. It's a $20ish part.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take a ground wire I use jumper cables to test this cause its easy. Go from the bell housing/starter body to neg terminal on battery see if the issue goes away this will test your grounds to starter ect have had plenty of ppl similar issue. As far as your blower the resistors go bad all the time.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know if this has been figured out or fixed. However, Run a wire from battery ground to starter, positive battery to alternator. You can run another wire from battery ground to fender (same bolt that is used for battery ground). I had all these symptoms and replaced battery/starter and started a few times then wouldn’t start again. Sometimes my truck would start after long time of cranking, but that stopped after a while. My
Buddy checked it and found that my cables had high resistance so he checked with a battery cables and the truck fired up right away. I was getting weird codes too for BCM and O2 sensors. Electrical system will go crazy when you have a bad ground.