2007 Ram 2500 6.7L Electronic throttle control: NO CODES!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goddamndodgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Hi all first time poster at our wits end... helllllp!

2007 DR 2500 6.7L

HELP! Any ideas? Truck was imported to Australia in 2009, parts take ages to arrive here so hoping someone has some ideas so that we are not blindly replacing parts with no resolution.

The saga started...
Rough running, stalling, severe loss of power. Fuel lift pump replaced & Turbo replaced, Exhaust cleaned
Parts arrived Replaced Fuel rail pressure sensor, relief valve (with plug) & Fuel pressure regulator. Was coding for Fuel rail pressure too high until parts replaced. Problems seemed to be sorted.

Until 2 drives later....
Now ETC Light on, Engine light on very rough idle, power only intermittent unaffected?
Now have ETC light on, CEL on and rough idle. Stinky exhaust. At times the engine light will blink 10 times but not always. ETC light was flashing at one point.
NO CODES!!
Batteries fine, good connection no corrosion and tested.
Have Cleaned throttle body & MAP sensor, both carboned up.
I can see why this is referred to as "the lightning bolt of death"

Could clear ETC light by doing the below reset methods and rough idle dissapears but then "See Dealer" alert will appear. Clear See Dealer and then the ETC reappears head-wall

ETC #1 method
o reset the electronic throttle control system, perform the following:

1. Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" position but do not start the engine
2. Wait for all the warning lights to go out. The check engine light may remain on.
3. Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4. Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it is all the way back up at the rest position.
5. Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position.
6. Start the engine and test the throttle by see if the engine will throttle up.

ETC #2 method
Key on engine off wait 3 seconds
Step on accelerator 5 times within a 5 sec interval
Wait 7 seconds then step on accelerator pedal for 20 seconds without release
After 20 seconds the issue should be fixed
Repeat again if didn’t work the first time

Reset see dealer
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).
2. Press and release the brake pedal two times.
3. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly two times within 10 seconds and hold it to the floor the second time.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position and then let up on the accelerator pedal.

Make sure you're not letting up on the accelerator pedal before turning the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I have an ‘08 2500 HD 6.7. I had the red lightning bolt light up and over the course of a few weeks, my throttle position sensor (accelerator pedal) slowly gave me less and less power. I bought a new one and it only gave wide open throttle
( can I get a WOT !?! ) sorry, anyway, at start up and i hot thr samr part from a different store and it did exactly the same. The third time I went to the dealership and finally got the correct part. It was an updated version of the same part, only difference in this particular part number (Mopar) ? The number was the same as it had been, but the ‘AB’ had been changed to an ‘AG’ I believe. Only the dealership had access to the correct part for my truck. I was so relieved that I work on my own vehicles. My motor could have over revved and blew up had I not recognized the problem the wrong part was doing and killed the engine to prevent damage. Anyhow, the red bolt icon on my ram is the TPS (throttle position sensor) indicator. Dealership said I was using ‘incorrect terminology’ and it took a day to get them to understand which part I needed. The terminology is not only on my tuner diagnostics and the dash display it was in the owner’s manual that came with the truck from the factory. So, If all else fails, replacing the throttle position sensor which is now called the apps might be the remedy. Your symptoms are similar to those I had . Also , the dealership said I have a throttle body, I don’t. I did have a throttle valve ( now deleted ) but that was a monstrosity of the egr system. Good luck with your work.