2008 1500 4.7 transmission cooler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day all,
Looking throughout the forums, I see a lot of information about transmission coolers for the 5.7 engine, but not for the 4.7. I have the standard transmission cooler, and was wondering if anyone knew the part number for the HD cooler some came with. I'd like to go to a larger one (because more cooling is good) and am hoping someone has dealt with either the OEM HD version, or a reliable aftermarket one. Thanks!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Same transmission, i.e. uses the same cooler(s). Question is, do you need it? Do you do alot of heavy towing or do you have significant power upgrades?

OP
OP
B

BluDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm planning on getting a smaller trailer (don't want to run near max) in the future, and figure if it wont hurt, it may be a good idea to do.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it's a light trailer you're not gonna pull all the time then your stock one is fine. If it's a long distance every day thing, then maybe the towing package cooler (bigger but not 3500 big). You don't want the trans too cool. It isn't really good for it and if you manage to make the trans run too cold the PCM will lock out overdrive (like it does now if it's running before coming all the way up to temp).

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good day all,
Looking throughout the forums, I see a lot of information about transmission coolers for the 5.7 engine, but not for the 4.7. I have the standard transmission cooler, and was wondering if anyone knew the part number for the HD cooler some came with. I'd like to go to a larger one (because more cooling is good) and am hoping someone has dealt with either the OEM HD version, or a reliable aftermarket one. Thanks!
Contact all Mopar parts in vendor section.

OP
OP
B

BluDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help. I'll have to figure out the extra miles before I do anything.