2008 1500 Ram, trans replaced with starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NbRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, we got a used trans for my father's plow truck a 2008 Ram 1500 4x4. Everything matched up and replaced nice, once completed we put the starter in it and it would kick out but sounds like it was just hitting the side of the ring gear not the teeth. So we got a new starter just to make sure and tried it with the same issues. The trans was out of a 2007 and the looked the exact same. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try? The only other thing I can think that maybe the guy was messed up and the trans came out of a 4.7L not a 5.7L?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The flex plate has your starting gear on it. Only thing I could think of is not gapping the starter properly. I would take a guess and pull the starter out and see if it can be rotated to push the starter away from the ring gear. Possibly need spacers. Not sure on the mounting style of your starter.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I’m not sure on your issues, but I can tell you that you have the right transmission. 4.7s and 5.7s both use the same 545RFE and are interchangeable. 3.7s have the 42RLE, but you’d definitely realize its the wrong transmission long before now. Different shape, different length, only 2wd, among other things

OP
OP
N

NbRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the flex is the same but a starter for a 4.7 is a different number then for the 5.7 so I'm guessing the bell housing is different for the trans. There is no way to rotate, etc as there is only two holes and straight holes. No room for adjustment, I can try to shim it but it doesn't make sense to me to have to shim a starter on a newer vehicle. This was common on older vehicles but idk.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the flex is the same but a starter for a 4.7 is a different number then for the 5.7 so I'm guessing the bell housing is different for the trans. There is no way to rotate, etc as there is only two holes and straight holes. No room for adjustment, I can try to shim it but it doesn't make sense to me to have to shim a starter on a newer vehicle. This was common on older vehicles but idk.
May be worth a try to measure out the trans then to see if it is in fact the wrong setup. I can’t see why the bell housing would be different though. The different starter may be due to the 4.7 using a different flex plate. I’m not sure as I’ve not dealt with your situation. Just tossing out my thoughts.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I’m almost sure the bellhousing is the same from everything I’ve read, but I have been wrong before lol

The part about a different starter is probably true though. The 4.7s flywheel may be in a slightly different position. Are you using the 4.7s starter or your old 5.7s starter?