2008 2500 transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OLEred03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at trading my 03 ram for a 08 2500 4x4 diesel. My only question is, with 195xxx miles how long will the transmission last? Are they know for going out? Its an automatic. Does anyone have any insight on a diesel transmission on do's and don't's and what to look for about these.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Any modifications done to the truck at all? Specifically tuning or power adders? If it's completely stock and has been treated properly then you shouldn't have any issues with the transmission. If the powers been bumped up, well then it's something to be looking into a little more.

OP
OP
OLEred03

OLEred03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It appears to have a straight exhaust and possibly a tune, I'm not sure I'm going to look at it more closely today, anything I should look for?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
If it's been tuned and deleted then you'll send want to ask a few questions.

1) What tuner was used?
2) Did it have transmission tuning done as well?
3) What power level was ran the majority of the time on the tune?

Then obviously you want to drive it around. Get a feel for it and how it's shifting and operating. Get on it a little bit and take it on the freeway. If it does slip a clutch at all it will throw a code and turn on the CEL.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree with Brandon, he summed it up pretty well.
I will add that the trans can have some slipping without throwing a code. Before I had trans tuning I was running H&S on hot damn and it would slip the transmission if I laid into it, but it never threw a code. I mention that because you really need to test drive the truck and get a feel for it and not rely on a check engine light to tell you if anything is wrong.
The two things you'll want to look for are shuddering when accelerating hard, which would be the torque converter slipping and the RPM climbing faster than the speed which would be the clutches slipping. To notice the slipping you really have to pay attention because the transmission already has a lot of slippage built into it. It won't be noticeable like a worn clutch in a manual transmission.
Also on the tuner, you'll want to make sure the tuner comes with the truck if you plan on making any changes.

Find out all what is done to the truck, EGR delete, EGR cooler, head studs, recall item's fixed e.g. Then all the same stuff you would check on a gas vehicle.