2009 Ram, 5.7 L Hemi Cylinder 2 Misfire Conundrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
That's great news, I hope it's nothing serious. Whatever you do going forward go with good oil and filters. lol

I met with my mechanic Friday and handed over a pile of parts. And still have a pile to go...due to all that has to come off and mileage, have now added head gaskets/bolts, valve cover gaskets, timing chain kit/gasket, oil pump, oil pan gasket. I'd rather not have to replace chain or pump later since everything will be pulled apart and at 138k miles it makes sense.

Up to $3k in parts now (but this includes about $750 for headers/gaskets) and will have $1000-$1500 in labor by the time all is said and done.

Should be happy by next weekend. rofl

Peter B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had my cam, lifters and the solenoids that control the lifters replaced at a friends shop $4000. Problem started #3 cly missfire replaced all plugs, coil and injector still had the code pulled valve cover and found the dredded collapsed lifter! My friend told me to get a tuner to turn off the eco mds system any recommendations? My truck is 2011 5.7 hemi 92,000 miles

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I would love to know why this isn't a recall?!?!?!?!?

Insane how many people have had this problem. 100k miles these days is nothing for a modern engine, totally unacceptable.

Check out Moe's Performance. Recommend Diablo I2 with Hemifever tuning.

I personally had some issues with throttle bounce with the HF tune but not everyone does. Ended up getting a tune from Jay Greene and I'm really happy.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
For anyone that has experienced the lifter failure/camshaft replacement, even under warranty, please take a few moments to send a message to RAM/FCA about your experience with this.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/emailpage.html

Would love to get some attention on this situation. It can't hurt to try and get some attention on this.

OP
OP
S

spartanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I just went another day without a misfire so we're running on 5 days with no problems now. Seems like fuel delivery was indeed the issue, but I'm still hesitant to call it a case closed as something weird did happen today:

-Put the ignition in "On" and noticed that the check engine light blinked for a few seconds. Plugged in the tuner and got a P0128 code (problem with coolant thermostat reading,) which I found odd as the engine wasn't running yet. Cleared the code and started the engine, no CEL.
-Later in the day turned the ignition to "On" and noticed the CEL blinking again. Don't check the code (which I should have done) or clear it. Start up the engine and the CEL is immediately off. I chalked it up to the same P0128 code.
-Then I get back home and try to replicate the code once more to see if I need to look into getting a new thermostat. Ignition "On," see the CEL blinking, plug in the scanner. But it's a P0304 code???

Does this P0304 code mean anything? It had been hours since I last drove the truck and during the drive the CEL never came on. I can't imagine a MISFIRE code would just get stored in the memory without triggering the CEL. If I hadn't been looking for the P0128 code I would have never found it!

If it is a true P0304 code then I just solved my earlier P0302 troubles - I swapped injectors 2 and 4 with one another two days ago. The culprit would HAVE to be a bad injector.

On the other hand, is it possible for the truck's computer to throw random codes?

Jesse57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500 4x4 crew
Engine
For all u guys experiencing cam/ lifter failure, don't feel alone. Been there, done that. I replaced my lifters with melling racing 6.1 hemi lifters non MDS, had a cam custom cut from bullet racing in olive branch Mississippi. These guys are the ****...build cams for most top fuel nhra teams.
I'm getting ready to file a class action suit against FCA. They know this is a major issue and refuse to help customers that spend big bucks on their products. Sad part is, we are just the truck side, do u have any idea how many cop cars are having this problem too? There are tens of thousands of us with this problem, and being ignored by ram.
You can contact me direct at
[email protected] to talk and be added to our suit. I don't like suing anyone but damn it, after what I paid for my truck, I expected more loyalty and cooperation than we've gotten

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What setting on the Trinity is used to monitor the O2 voltage live?

I’m trying to get some logs to validate needing mew O2 sensors.

They have 240k on them too :)

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For all u guys experiencing cam/ lifter failure, don't feel alone. Been there, done that. I replaced my lifters with melling racing 6.1 hemi lifters non MDS, had a cam custom cut from bullet racing in olive branch Mississippi. These guys are the ****...build cams for most top fuel nhra teams.
I'm getting ready to file a class action suit against FCA. They know this is a major issue and refuse to help customers that spend big bucks on their products. Sad part is, we are just the truck side, do u have any idea how many cop cars are having this problem too? There are tens of thousands of us with this problem, and being ignored by ram.
You can contact me direct at
[email protected] to talk and be added to our suit. I don't like suing anyone but damn it, after what I paid for my truck, I expected more loyalty and cooperation than we've gotten
Sir you should make your own thread about this class action , Imo you will get much more response from here .
I know I've seen many many wiped cam and failed lifter bearing stories here [emoji106]

I'm gonna link your post to the Synthetic oil thread , at times there's lots of cam & lifter discussion there ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk