200K what parts to replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The truck (2016 25000 Hemi) turned 160K. With 200K around the corner (drive 25K per year), I wanted to get some advice on the lifespan of the following parts:

1. Alternator
2. Starter
3. Radiator
4. U joints
5. Wheel bearings

I plan to buy parts early instead of spending everything at once. I have replaced the water pump (OEM), upper / lower hoses, cooling fan module (OEM) at 150K. All wear/tear items (spark plugs, shocks, PCV, brake components, fluids) have been taken care of.

Other than an early transmission solenoid recall, exhaust manifold bolt replacement and drag link recall, the truck has been perfect. I would like to get at least 300K (asking a lot for a gasser). Thank you in advance.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Personally I wouldn't replace any of those items until needed. Might not be a bad idea to buy those parts ahead of time so you don't get caught by any supply chain issues. Although most if not all of those items will have a core charge. But you'll usually have some amount of warning before any of those items fail completely. You might as well get all the "goody" out of them. Something else to consider having on hand might be front axles. CV boots don't last forever.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also wouldn't replace anything that isn't broken from the top list. But if you haven't ever replaced them, hoses, belts, and timing chains are always something I do at some point. Just better to eliminate those things that aren't that expensive but which can end a trip fast. Others may think to leave them alone, which also works.

Generally, I follow scheduled maintenance schedule.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great question.... it's funny the cars I drove when I was younger seemed to go through a lot of those parts super-quick but on these newer trucks they last a long time. I really don't see a lot of threads about water pumps, starters, alternators, radiators, etc. In a world where seemingly everything is being made worse (home appliances to name a big one) it's a pleasant surprise that some auto parts are lasting longer. I'd maybe buy the parts and wait it out. A lot also depends on what type of driving you do and how big of a deal a breakdown would be?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I wouldn't replace any of those items until needed. Might not be a bad idea to buy those parts ahead of time so you don't get caught by any supply chain issues. Although most if not all of those items will have a core charge. But you'll usually have some amount of warning before any of those items fail completely. You might as well get all the "goody" out of them. Something else to consider having on hand might be front axles. CV boots don't last forever.
No cv boots on a 2500.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No cv boots on a 2500.
Good to know. I've never owned a Ram 2500 and am not familiar with the drive train on them. Thanks for the info.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't change any of them unless they break. The only thing I would change is the serpentine belt and check the hoses to see if they're stiff and brittle. Other than that, drive on.

OP
OP
R

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Appreciate the advice. I am going to hold off purchasing any parts for now.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know. I've never owned a Ram 2500 and am not familiar with the drive train on them. Thanks for the info.
Yea, hd’s have a solid front axle. Not ifs like the half ton. So axle shafts with a typical u-joint. They can still wear out, though!