2011 Ram 1500 - Loud constant noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to owning my Ram 1500.

After driving it for a week or so, out of nowhere when I start the truck (5.7 hemi), idle it, and slow down to a stop; the truck makes a LOUD and constant, almost droning "whooshing" sound that is really loud from the engine bay and interior. It happens with the cabin fans are on & off (thought it might've just been the interior van but its WAY louder and def. sounds like an issue).

It all started one night when I got home from work as I came to a stop in the driveway. The noise even changes with revving and goes away when the truck is shut off. I changed the belt and a couple pulleys, and no luck. I am starting to get worried it's the transmission ALREADY but I'm no mechanic.

Anyone got any ideas or experience with this??

-Thank you!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Is It your radiator fan?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dylan V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is It your radiator fan?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Can't be. I've been driving it for over a week now, the fan has been on for sure and this noise never happened until Tuesday. This "whooshing" noise almost sounds like water going through pipes, but it's constant and barley goes away while driving. It's super loud in the engine bay, but also in the interior. I can try to add a video of it this weekend, to this post....

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your coolant system has air in it then you would hear it 'gurgling' when coming to a stop or idling. A video of the sound would help a lot.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have automotive stethoscope or even something like a cut off broom handle, listen around under the hood when the noise is happening.
If your using a wood pole, protect your ear from direct contact on it
A automotive stethoscope can be bought from Harbor Freight for few dollars

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clutch fan. Had the same noise in my 09.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

this its a 2011 so it has a clutch fan and a efan after driving it open hood see if clutch fan is stuck at full blast mine went bad last year.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
It's the clutch fan.
Mopars have 'whooshed' since they first started using them. Did you change the idler/tensioner with the new belt? Should always be done together.

OP
OP
D

Dylan V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the clutch fan.
Mopars have 'whooshed' since they first started using them. Did you change the idler/tensioner with the new belt? Should always be done together.
Yeah I changed them both at once the squeaky belt went away but not this whooshing noise.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 16 5.7 does the same thing. It is the clutch fan just as a half dozen others have said. I think there is an electric fan mod out there somewhere that will eliminate the clutch fan all together.

OP
OP
D

Dylan V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 16 5.7 does the same thing. It is the clutch fan just as a half dozen others have said. I think there is an electric fan mod out there somewhere that will eliminate the clutch fan all together.
So is the clutch fan broken? It def seems like it is.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to owning my Ram 1500.

After driving it for a week or so, out of nowhere when I start the truck (5.7 hemi), idle it, and slow down to a stop; the truck makes a LOUD and constant, almost droning "whooshing" sound that is really loud from the engine bay and interior. It happens with the cabin fans are on & off (thought it might've just been the interior van but its WAY louder and def. sounds like an issue).

It all started one night when I got home from work as I came to a stop in the driveway. The noise even changes with revving and goes away when the truck is shut off. I changed the belt and a couple pulleys, and no luck. I am starting to get worried it's the transmission ALREADY but I'm no mechanic.

Anyone got any ideas or experience with this??

-Thank you!
One question; when you changed the belt and pulleys, did you over tighten the belt? With serpentine drive belts you should have about 1 inch of deflection when you push down on it in a vacant space. If you over tighten it, you will wear out the bearings in the pulleys very quickly.

barbarossa2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a similar issue with my 2014 2500 5.7. I have usually only noticed it when in the Rocky Mountains climbing steep passes. But it might continue afterwards for a day, and even when parked a few times. It’s so loud it’s like there is no firewall. I was worried sick on some climbs tha5 it was the tranny. We did find shot wheel bearings were part of our awful sounds(obviously not when parked). Have you replaced the fan clutch? Did that stop the whooshing noise?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AxleFolly