2012 dodge ram 1500 hemi 5.7l cylinder 5 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
Okay guys just recently had a check engine light pop up out of nowhere and took it to my local auto zone to diagnose it and I got a code p0305 for a misfire in cylinder 5. Took it to get it looked at an local auto shop and they said that one my lifters is dead and has no compression and it would need to be replaced and it would cost around 4k. What are the best options for me ? I'm going to be taking it somewhere else to see what they say about it. Because I cant afford to fix this now, have any of you guys had this problem and what was the solution and how much did it cost ? Please let me know thanks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I assume that is all new lifters and cam, if so that is about what it will run, very common problem. Can you tell us what oil and filter you use and how many miles on truck? Here is the dyi thread, probably a 4 out of 5 as far as dificulty, not an easy task. Sorry to hear it, pretty notorious issue with hemi's.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on it? 4k is crazy motor is most likely fixable i did my cam dnd lifters myself for $600 if you cant do it yourself i cant see it costing anymore thern $1800-2k to Fix. Although that cylinder should still have compression.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
I assume that is all new lifters and cam, if so that is about what it will run, very common problem. Can you tell us what oil and filter you use and how many miles on truck? Here is the dyi thread, probably a 4 out of 5 as far as dificulty, not an easy task. Sorry to hear it, pretty notorious issue with hemi's.
Yupp that's what I was thinking also did a lil bit of research and that's the solution so far. Well last oil change i used 5w30 redline oil to see if it will help with the famous hemi lifter tick and i used a k&n oil filter. I got almost 130k miles on it, yeah man it's a shame because I usually fix everything on my truck but this is different since I need to take out the engine out and stuff.

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
How many miles on it? 4k is crazy motor is most likely fixable i did my cam dnd lifters myself for $600 if you cant do it yourself i cant see it costing anymore thern $1800-2k to Fix. Although that cylinder should still have compression.
I got almost 130k on it, yeah never had any problems with the engine always ran smooth but the only thing that was wrong was the lifter tick ever since I got the truck. I'm trying to see where I can get it fixed now I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealership or just go to a local shop

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got almost 130k on it, yeah never had any problems with the engine always ran smooth but the only thing that was wrong was the lifter tick ever since I got the truck. I'm trying to see where I can get it fixed now I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealership or just go to a local shop
Find a local shop it will be much cheaper. I wouldn't go to the dealer unless it was as a last resort.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yupp that's what I was thinking also did a lil bit of research and that's the solution so far. Well last oil change i used 5w30 redline oil to see if it will help with the famous hemi lifter tick and i used a k&n oil filter. I got almost 130k miles on it, yeah man it's a shame because I usually fix everything on my truck but this is different since I need to take out the engine out and stuff.

No you don't have to remove engine for this, just the bumper, which I have done and isn't that hard. If you can't afford the 4 grand, you may have no choice but to takle it, at least try. Read that dyi thread, it is very detailed and a few guys used tit to replace their cams. You do need to follow every detail, a couple guys had to redo it because they missed a step. good luck to ya

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
On a side note, this one falls into the exact mileage we have been seeing for this, seams like 70-130k miles this issue is most prevelant. This is the exact range that has been discussed on this forum and z forum.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NEVER take it to a dealer and actually you dont even need to take front bumper or touch the front end other then taking plastic grill off. I pulled my rad and had PLENTY of room hell i was standing inside of the truck working on it *****.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there was a better vid on cam and lifter replacement somewhere i am sure if you look around but here is a quick one i found to give you a idea

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a side note, this one falls into the exact mileage we have been seeing for this, seams like 70-130k miles this issue is most prevelant. This is the exact range that has been discussed on this forum and z forum.

So if we make it past 130k miles we won't have the issue? Hahah I am at 128k now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So if we make it past 130k miles we won't have the issue? Hahah I am at 128k now.

As odd as that sounds yeah, less chance of an issue if you make it past 130k imo from the data I've seen. Not saying it wont happen, but it happens less often which flies in the face of common sense. But that is what happens when you have an issue like this, if you make it past the window where this event is happening, then very likely your truck didn't have the conditions that created the problems the rest of us are seeing.

AJAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the response Burla and I thought so. Just needed someone else to agree with that logic. Now to keep the fingers cross and only worry about the broken manifold bolt that started ticking 8k miles ago haha

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
Okay guys I dropped off my truck at a local shop today, just waiting for an estimate. I know most likely I'm going to need new cams and lifters but I'm just waiting till they let me know, I would like to put upgraded cams and lifters I don't want to put the OEM crap lifters back on there so what would you guys recommend?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When my cam goes out, I'm going to use a local non dealership shop. I'm going to use Hell Cat lifters. Finally, a Cam from either Moe's or Green. I'll pay cash.

OP
OP
Giulio A Grisetti
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l v8
When my cam goes out, I'm going to use a local non dealership shop. I'm going to use Hell Cat lifters. Finally, a Cam from either Moe's or Green. I'll pay cash.
Yeah I was thinking of putting the hellcat lifters also I'm sure they are better than the oem ones that went bad on my truck. And the cam I'm not sure yet I'm still researching a bit to see which one I should get !

itsmethatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well i am glad to see that for once i was not the only one i just got rid of my 12 outdoorsmen for the same reason at 121k picked up a 17 bighorn cc with 60k def gonna do everything i can to make this one last

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 06 Ram 1500 5.7 is at 337500, no cam or lifter issues, guess I'm in the clear ? Lol

Its mostly the 4th gen rams that have this issue not 3rd gens. My old truck never had any issues my new one had im still pre sure its due to the mds garbage it really killed the hemi cheaper cams/lifters/cam phasers.

SkylarMelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my '11 Hemi at 112k kms. Same P0305 at probably 120k. Let it slide, got worse. Took it to dealer, they quoted me $6000 CAD after already ripping the engine apart to diagnose it. I paid them $2700 to put it back together with a new roller on that lifter, oil change and some accessory code activations. Ran it for 1.5 years, misfired every quick acceleration or cold acceleration. Even towed with it on a 4 hour drive, shaking most of the way (I know, stupid). Just got it fixed in June from a private guy. $2500 was my bill for lifters, cam and everything. Should have started with him in the first place...

I'm trying out AmazonBasics Full Synthetic 5w20/5w30 mix now just to see how she goes. Will never trust the 5.7 hemi again, I expect it to go again some where down the line, but if she gives me a 100k more kms, I'll be satisfied.