2012 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mip8318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the past 3 months my 2012 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 (it has 137k miles) has been stalling when I come to a stop and when I turn left or right. It happens at least once or twice a week. Sometimes twice in the same day. I do not lose power; the radio stays on, my clock does not reset, it just loses power between 10-20mph. The RPMs just drop. We've replaced a computer part already, there isnt a vaccum leak, there are no codes stored, and it's driving me crazy trying to figure out what's wrong. On top of that, my light for my "Electric Trailer Brake Disconnected" message popped up as well as the "Serv4wd" light. -__- My main concern right now is the stalling/dying out. Has anyone else ever had this problem? What are some things yall have done or suggest? In the video, I was taking it to put gas and to the mechanic due to it dying out the day before.

OP
OP
Mip8318

Mip8318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*UPDATE
My truck now dies out, once or twice every other day.
The Trailer Brake Light & SERV4WD light come on every other day or so as well, but go away once I turn the truck off and turn it back on.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wonder if the trailer brake and 4WD system share a common ground because its kind of acting like an intermittent ground problem. It could even be the main engine ground if the truck is stalling. I would check the grounds to make sure they're clean and tight.

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ck serpentine belt, maybe slipping , clean throttle body, load test battery and or clean terminals. In this order. This may help and sure won't hurt.

OP
OP
Mip8318

Mip8318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if the trailer brake and 4WD system share a common ground because its kind of acting like an intermittent ground problem. It could even be the main engine ground if the truck is stalling. I would check the grounds to make sure they're clean and tight.

We cleaned the grounds for the trailer brake, then all the connectors/plugs that are in the rear bumper and that has seemed to take away the Trailer Brake & SERV4WD problem (knocks on wood). But it died on me that same day. Hasnt died out while a mechanic drives it for 2 days straight I guess that's my luck.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you see anything obvious when checking/cleaning the grounds in the rear? (Loose, corroded, etc) You may as well check the engine grounds too, especially if you found something with the rear.

Make sure you have good battery voltage too. Low voltage can cause some crazy issues.

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your gas level too low. Fuel pump losing prime.
Fill up at 1/4 tank for fuel injected cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mip8318

Mip8318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your gas level too low. Fuel pump losing prime.
Fill up at 1/4 tank for fuel injected cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may seem that way due to the video, but it dies out that way even with a full tank, 3/4, 1/2. I've gone to two mechanics and they are baffled. I asked a few of my friends who work at a dealership and they haven't had anyone here in our town with this problem. So far I've gone 2 days without it dying. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself on this one.

Ygnacio Vargas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 Ram 1500. I've changed out the MAP sensor and had a tuneup completed on my truck but still an issue. Check engine light does not come on which don't help and issue is really frustrating. Hope to get some help with this issue on this forum.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 Ram 1500. I've changed out the MAP sensor and had a tuneup completed on my truck but still an issue. Check engine light does not come on which don't help and issue is really frustrating. Hope to get some help with this issue on this forum.

Hi Ygnacio,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are currently experiencing with your truck. I know that you are reaching out to fellow forum members on this, however, if you end up having to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Red Ramdd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2011
Engine
5.7 Hemi both
I have had the same problem with my 2011 sport, and I think I found the problem I took all 4 connectors of the social on the passenger firewall sprayed them with contact cleaner then blew them out with clean air, reinstalled them and tie wrapped the main wire to a bracket and problem seems to be gone. Hope this helps