2012 Ram 1500 no Trailer Brake Controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpHemi3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The question to all,

I am not sure how this works at all! So I am playing dumb telling you all Upfront!

SO Learn me here? Please

I am buying a bigger boat it has 2 axles and I am Assuming Electric brakes it weighs 2600lb empty

So what do I have to install, I am guessing I am able to do this?

Thanks in advance!

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
A lot of boats trailers use surge brakes, are you sure on needing a brake controller?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jpHemi3

jpHemi3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lpennock, No I am not sure but I always would like to prepare and already have what I need before I go there. I will be traveling through the mountains so I figured extra braking in my Tow would be a bad Idea. But I am not sure that the trailer has all this yet

upflying

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A lot of boats trailers use surge brakes, are you sure on needing a brake controller?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
That's my understanding too, boat trailer brakes get submerged during launch, water would cause problems with electric brakes.

OP
OP
jpHemi3

jpHemi3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok thanks, Duh ok call me an Idiot I can take it! Thanks but I will have to look that up Surge brakes!

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Best bet is to ask around... most marinas will know (or have someone in the service department who knows) - if all else fails, ask whoever you're buying the boat from, or at least ask for the documentation. Unless it's a really (really) big boat, electric brakes aren't going to be typical.