2012 Ram shutting off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carpy1166

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help.... I'm about to lose my f'n mind. I haven't been able to enjoy my new truck. I bought it used with 118,*** miles, truck has been well maintained, or so it seems. The dealer is working with me, but nothing is helping yet.
The TIPM has been replaced, battery has been replaced, rear wheel speed sensors have been replaced.
The issue is it will randomly just shut down. Sometimes it will start back up, other times, it won't even click. All electrical seem to be working when this happens. When it won't try to start, I will have to wiggle or unplug and plug in the connectors at the ECM. Once started, it will be good from 1 hour to a few days, but will happen again. It seems to be getting worse.
I am really hoping that one of you well informed Ram owners can shed some light on this for me.
I really like this truck and have plans for it, but I need something I can drive, not just a nice looking lawn ornament.
Any ideas what to look for next?
Thanks91bdf4480ebd9c08e23964d35383e2d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
There is a connector behind the driver side wheel liner that is exposed to the elements. Start there and check the connection and wires.

If you lay under the truck behind the driver front tire and look up you should see it.
Help.... I'm about to lose my f'n mind. I haven't been able to enjoy my new truck. I bought it used with 118,*** miles, truck has been well maintained, or so it seems. The dealer is working with me, but nothing is helping yet.
The TIPM has been replaced, battery has been replaced, rear wheel speed sensors have been replaced.
The issue is it will randomly just shut down. Sometimes it will start back up, other times, it won't even click. All electrical seem to be working when this happens. When it won't try to start, I will have to wiggle or unplug and plug in the connectors at the ECM. Once started, it will be good from 1 hour to a few days, but will happen again. It seems to be getting worse.
I am really hoping that one of you well informed Ram owners can shed some light on this for me.
I really like this truck and have plans for it, but I need something I can drive, not just a nice looking lawn ornament.
Any ideas what to look for next?
Thanks91bdf4480ebd9c08e23964d35383e2d0.jpg

OP
OP
carpy1166

carpy1166

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As soon as the rain stops, I'll go look for that connector. Thank you.

OP
OP
carpy1166

carpy1166

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a connector behind the driver side wheel liner that is exposed to the elements. Start there and check the connection and wires.

If you lay under the truck behind the driver front tire and look up you should see it.
Do you know what the wires go too?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Do you know what the wires go too?

No I don't. I just recall a similar case a few years back. You've obviously got a wiring problem since the problem is so intermittent like that. I think you're best bet is going to be checking the wires and their connections underneath the truck and in the engine bay. I would also check the pins on the connector going to the PCM.

OP
OP
carpy1166

carpy1166

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While poking around trying to find anything loose, I pushed down slightly on the wire bundle going to the ECM. This made the truck stall out. I tried starting it back up and it wouldn't do anything. I pulled up slightly on the same wire bundle in the same location I pushed down, and it started right back up. I have temporarily tie wrapped the bundle to the transmission tube to reduce the possibility of the wires bouncing to see if it stalls out again. Possible broken or frayed wire in the loom? 4c7742857c7c770b03f56cecf49a3ec7.jpg