2013 With 89K - SERVICE DEF SYSTEM - SEE DEALER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yesterday I was driving and as I slowed to make a turn, I heard a chime then the "Service DEF System - See Dealer" message came up on the display. I reached my destination in less than a mile and the message stored in the EVIC. I turned the truck off then restarted it, the message came right back. When I left, as I got onto the highway, I got on it pretty hard to 70 MPH. The message went away, nothing is stored in the EVIC like it never happened. I've driven the truck 50 miles since and have had no issues.

Most likely this was a precursor to more to come. And, as I've read, limp mode is not too far too far away when this message appears.

2013 + No Warranty + 89K miles + Non-Emissions State = DELETE

What Delete Kit should I be looking at? I'm not looking to add 100hp tunes. I want reliability, better fuel economy and a muffler.

Also, anyone know of a trusted shop in North Carolina?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2017 did this to me several times, including limp mode and no dealer I went to could figure it out. Or they'd just reset it and send me on my way. So....my brand new CTD got deleted.

There isn't a "kit" per se but basically a full delete encompasses removing the two cannisters under the truck, draining the DEF fluid, removing the EGR, throttle valve and some other bits plus tuning the truck to, at a minimum, deal with any codes that will pop up.

Here's my list of what was done:

Delete & Tune mods
  • Edge CTS-2 Insight monitor with Cummins unlock
  • 13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge CSP4 tune package by PPEI / Kory Willis
  • 13 – 17 EFI Live Dodge transmission tuning
  • Cummins tuning switch CSP4
  • EGR valve and cooler removal with block off plate
  • Throttle valve delete
  • Edge expandable EGT probe kit and install
  • Pillar pod mount for Edge CTS2
The transmissions tend to shake and shudder under medium heavy to heavy throttle inputs. The shudder is attributed to trans fluid under pressure bypassing the valve body which creates a repeating high pressure to low pressure condition. The failure mode in most cases is either a 3rd gear sprag failure or a case failure due to excessive flexing. At the recommendation of some folks on another forum, I upgraded the transmission a bit.

Transmission mods
  • BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit
  • Mag Hytec deep transmission pan
  • ATS 68RFE transmission case support brace
I found out my local diesel performance shop has installed a dyno and can tune the transmissions now. I'm going to give him a call and see what he can do.

So when you remove the two cannisters underneath the truck you have to make up that length in pipe. The most common result is a straight piped exhaust. I ran it like that for a few months and got really tired of getting beat up by the sonics of that system. If I drove for more than an hour I'd start to get a headache. So in addition to the standard exhaust delete pipes being installed, I also put in a muffler.

Exhaust Upgrade
  • FloPro 4“ cat & DPF cannister delete pipe
  • 4” – 6” black exhaust tip with rolled edge
  • Corsa 8004002 4” muffler – placed just downstream of down pipe
070117%2024_zps7vgzgfse.jpg

070117%2008_zpsyqd6bebd.jpg

070117%2009_zpsq6ekxj0q.jpg

070117%2013_zps6wawpi64.jpg

20170729_093409_zps2shsem7t.jpg

070117%2021_zps088yarvs.jpg

AnonStu

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 2017 did this to me several times, including limp mode and no dealer I went to could figure it out. Or they'd just reset it and send me on my way. So....my brand new CTD got deleted.

There isn't a "kit" per se but basically a full delete encompasses removing the two cannisters under the truck, draining the DEF fluid, removing the EGR, throttle valve and some other bits plus tuning the truck to, at a minimum, deal with any codes that will pop up.

Good write up. Thanks for taking the time to type all of that.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yesterday I was driving and as I slowed to make a turn, I heard a chime then the "Service DEF System - See Dealer" message came up on the display. I reached my destination in less than a mile and the message stored in the EVIC. I turned the truck off then restarted it, the message came right back. When I left, as I got onto the highway, I got on it pretty hard to 70 MPH. The message went away, nothing is stored in the EVIC like it never happened. I've driven the truck 50 miles since and have had no issues.

Most likely this was a precursor to more to come. And, as I've read, limp mode is not too far too far away when this message appears.

2013 + No Warranty + 89K miles + Non-Emissions State = DELETE

What Delete Kit should I be looking at? I'm not looking to add 100hp tunes. I want reliability, better fuel economy and a muffler.

Also, anyone know of a trusted shop in North Carolina?
All you 'have to' have is a delete pipe (also recommend getting a muffler) and tuning device to tell the truck how to operate without all the emissions stuff functioning. Removing the EGR and/or throttle valve components are not necessary as the tuning will turn them off.

For a tuner there are several options. I chose to go with a MM3 from Double R Diesel. Search YouTube for his channel, it has tons of great information even if you decide to go another route for tuning.

I can recommend a couple shops around the Greensboro area but if you are even a little mechanically inclined you can handle the basic delete process. All you really need are some basic hand tools and a flat/level place to park the truck for a few hours. There are tons of videos out there that show the process. It really isn't that bad.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got that warning on my 2014 at 51k miles, I deleted as well

I used EZ Lynk with CTT tunes, I have the 5 tune shift on the fly knob as well and trans tuning
Exhaust is a 5” with a short muffler from Rudy’s, it looks like a reboxed Flopro

I only have 150 miles on it since deleting

For trans up grade, BD pan, Sonnax accumulators and retainer, DNJ valve body plate, metal filter adapter, thermo-bypass block & ATS brace.

I didn’t tune for max power, just so I didn’t have to put up with emissions issues.

My EGR & all that is still in place for now just not in use.