2014 Ram 2500 6.4 engine replacement with a 2021 6.4 hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikey593

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Ram 2500 6.4 was suffering from low oil pressure and the Hemi tick was getting worse. I decided to replace the oil pump. When I pulled off the oil pan I found it had a lot of metal shavings in it. I tore down the engine and found that 2 of the lifters had seized up and it had torn up the camshaft. No pushrods are bent. The crankshaft is not too bad I think I can polish it up. Heads and valves are in good shape. I am having heck finding parts, ie. rebuild kits, for the original 6.4. I have found several 6.4 Hemis available, however they are from 2021 and 2020 Ram 2500's. Is it worth making the swap? Will I have to find a matching ECM for the new motor or can I have the existing ECM flashed or reprogrammed. Thanks for your help!

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
Just had the dealer replace my 2014 6.4. Even Mopar is short on engines. They do factory rebuilds in Colorado, it's just short of $8K for a long block with a 3yr/100000m warranty. I'm old so I had them do the work, another $3k but then the labor and parts are warranted. This is the third engine I've needed. The first was one of the improperly built ones with the wrong wristpins. The second was a crate straight from Detroit. The dealer made my engine compartment look NEW. Expensive but the truck runs at least as good as day 1. Oh yeah, I only have 125k miles......probably will bite the bullet and buy a CTD next time, I'm not impressed with the 6.4 durability. If you can find a low mileage at a junkyard, you'll save yourself a ton of money. I personally don't know if there is any difference in mechanical parts in the engine years. I would check with the dealer with the flashing of the ECM/PCM. That part alone is approximately $1100, That was the last part they tried to charge me for when they figured the whole engine needed replacing.