2014 Ram Big Horm quad cab 5.7l Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brc19761

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone because this is my very first post. I also do not know if I am posting this question in the correct area of the forum. So, to administrators I would apologize in advance if this question is in the wrong place or is not permitted.

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram quad cab Big Horn addition with the 5.7l Hemi. I love this truck and everything about it. I bought it to tow my new bumper bull travel trailer. But I drive it everywhere.

My truck started running really horrible a couple days ago. I thought it was going to leave me stranded on the side of the road. The check engine light came on. I made it home. Hooked my ob2 scanner up and code p0171 came up. I looked the code up. I performed some of the recommended test. Cleaned the maf sensor. In my air filter box I found a bunch of acorns. Got to examining all hoses for leaks. Then I came across the problem. Squirrels or rats had been chewing on one of my fuel injector plugs.

My problem is simple. I do not know to disconnect the fuel injector wire. I do not want to do any further damage. I want to repair it. But I have tried every way I know how to unplug it and I can't get it off. I have searched the net and found articles (which led me to this forum) and videos on how to properly unplug the fuel injector wire. But none of them show my specific type of plug. One for a 2014 5.7l Hemi.

If anyone knows how to properly remove the fuel injector wire I would sure appreciate any advice, info, or input.

Thank you

OP
OP
B

brc19761

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Finally got the fuel injector wire off today. I can't believe I spent this much time worrying with a simple clip. I must be getting feeble :). It is chewed completely chewed into at the very base of connector. I will have to get a new one and splice it back in. Plus, I just put out rat poison in my shop today.

Thanks

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Sometimes it's the smallest things that cause the biggest headaches. Glad to see that you figured out what the issue was.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hate rodents. Glad it's fixed.

OP
OP
B

brc19761

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
When it comes to engine work I am definitely not a mechanic. But I usually do all of the maintenance work, brakes, fluids, and replacement parts (such as alternators, starters, etc, on my own. I enjoy getting my hands greasy.

These newer motors scare me a little. Everything is computer controlled and I am always afraid I am going to break something or maybe make things worse. But as long as I can find some picture, video, and I love these forums to give me an idea of how to do it I feel better about the situation. Once the factory warranty runs out and something tears up I can't afford a trip to the dealership or even a reputable repair shop to get the work done. My bank account just want allow it. That is why I was so worried about trying to get this fuel injector wire off without making it worse and ending up at a repair shop. I actually saw a video of a guy that was modifying his Ram hemi with the same year model as mine. He was putting in bigger fuel injectors and all kinds of mods to make his truck faster. But it did show him removing the fuel injector wires. The connector is black and red on top. You pull the red part up with a thin flat headed screw driver. The guy in the video had a hard time pulling up the red part. You have to give it a good yank. Once the red part it up you push in on the right side of fuel injector connector and it simply snaps loose.

I was doing the same thing but the red part did not want come up. So, I though you may have to get it off another way or needed a special tool. I just didn't know just how hard you had to pull to on the red portion of the connector. I though I was going break it. The guy in the video was following the instructions in his modification kit. It did say that on the 4th generation Ram hemi the 2009-20012 motors looked the same but had different connectors, fuse locations, etc. compared to the 2013-2018 motors.

I hope this can help someone else.

This is about the 5th vehicle squirrels or rats have gotten into reeked havoc on engines on the close to three decades I have lived here. But that comes with the territory when you live in the sticks :).

Thanks.

HEMIsphere05

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L cummins
We have ground hogs and squirrels around me and I'm always worried they will chew up something.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your vehicle is going to sit for awhile you might want to put bounce sheets from the dryer under the bonnet/hood.
Great repellent for the rodents. I've tried it when my vehicle was parked in storage for 6 months and zero issues.