2014 Ram - Is there a way to remove the key and leave the car running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KDSan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Hi - Note: my husband is traveling so I can't test this myself, hence the questions below....

I've read a couple of posts on this, but they seemed to reference push start/keyless entry. My husband's truck has the fob "key" that goes in the ignition. We're getting ready to do a road trip w/ the dogs and I wanted to know if there's a way for us to remove the "key" from the ignition while it's still ON so that we can leave the air running for the dogs when we stop to use the restrooms or get a bite. I know we can leave the key in the ignition, take the spare key, and lock the car from the outside -- but feel a little uneasy about leaving a clearly visible key in the car.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Remote start(if available) will give you 10 minutes.

I’d advise against using the key and locking not under watchful eye of an owner if you value the vehicle and canines. Trust in people right now is out the window.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added remote start for this exact reason.

I can leave ma dog while go in.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can leave the truck running and locked, if you're truck has keyed entry on the drivers door.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ignore everything I just said.....I didn't read through. Just got in from 8 hours of straight driving...going to lay down now................

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Ignore everything I just said.....I didn't read through. Just got in from 8 hours of straight driving...going to lay down now................

You can delete a post within a period FYI, but a lot of people are unaware that the key is there should electronic failure occur.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Small slide lock on face of key fob where it attaches to your key ring. Slide it over , remove fob from emergency key.de47a2339d730a17b4258a4b5dbff131.jpg

Yup! While you're in the truck with it running, lock the doors, pop out the door key from the key fob, then manually lock the driver door when you get out. I do this for my pup all the time!

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Small slide lock on face of key fob where it attaches to your key ring. Slide it over , remove fob from emergency key.de47a2339d730a17b4258a4b5dbff131.jpg

100 times over this!!

OP. i used the exact method for my dog on trips. i wanted to leave him in the truck, with the AC on, but didnt want to leave my truck unlocked.

So i would leave the key in the ignition with the truck running, and remove the emergency key. Then i would just jump out, lock the door manually with my key..

so win win all around. Other than that. Looks up flashlogics. They make a awesome remote start kit for out trucks, and they are pretty cheap compared to everything else. Completely plug and play, you can install in in like 10 minutes.

Had one on my 2012 ram. uses factory key fob and everything. Great kit.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Over many vehicles I’ve always just left the key in the ignition when necessary and locked the doors. I get an extra cheap non chipped key to unlock doors if fobs are not in play. Never had a security issue, as my dogs are the type to defend the space.

A problem to be aware of is that in many places people are elevating pets to the level of children and they’ll freak out at unattended animals in your vehicle, even when it’s running and climate controlled. Be aware of local norms on that. I always try to park where I can watch my truck from inside and several times I’ve exited immediately when I see some well meaning person start stalking my truck.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Just an FYI..... Remember that it you leave that key in the ignition, and someone breaks in and takes the truck, most insurance companies are reluctant to pay out due to key was in the vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Just an FYI..... Remember that it you leave that key in the ignition, and someone breaks in and takes the truck, most insurance companies are reluctant to pay out due to key was in the vehicle.
In most states and provinces you can be ticket and fined for failing to secure a vehicle in a manner that prevents its unauthorized use, even if your vehicle is not stolen. High theft and tourist areas are more prone to enforcement patrols.

Some jurisdictions limit that to leaving the key in the ignition or in view, others include a key anywhere in vehicle or attached with a hide-a-key, British Columbia extends that to leaving your windows down or the doors unlocked, and our poor Australian friends can't be more than 9 feet from a running car or have it running with only kids under 16 in the car.

And if that's not bad enough some jurisdictions will ticket vehicles left idling.

firefly1178

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 laramie power wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
From inside the truck remote start it, unlock exit and lock, truck is running and fob is in hand.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi - Note: my husband is traveling so I can't test this myself, hence the questions below....

I've read a couple of posts on this, but they seemed to reference push start/keyless entry. My husband's truck has the fob "key" that goes in the ignition. We're getting ready to do a road trip w/ the dogs and I wanted to know if there's a way for us to remove the "key" from the ignition while it's still ON so that we can leave the air running for the dogs when we stop to use the restrooms or get a bite. I know we can leave the key in the ignition, take the spare key, and lock the car from the outside -- but feel a little uneasy about leaving a clearly visible key in the car.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
When you insert the fob into the ignition, there is a plastic “flap” that the fob pushes in to allow the ignition to be “rotated” to start. If you hold the fob right next to the ignition switch, you should be able to use your pinky to push that flap in to start the truck with your finger, leaving you with key fob in hand.

Brian B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put the key fob in the ignition and start her up, then just give the key fob a wiggle straight up or down while pulling out and it will pop out and your good to go and key fob can be used to lock doors still. It will feel a tiny bit like your gonna break something but it will pop right out. Ive done this for years with no ill affects and just use your finger to turn the ignition off. The truck will think the key is there till you shut engine off just so ya know, so if someone breaks in they can drive it till they shut it off. If you turn it off on accident when the fobs out you can hold the fob close and use your finger to turn ignition and it will start like someone mentioned

aux576

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah Brian, do that enough times and you'll have the keys falling out every time you drive.

Get what is called a pod key, it is basically the key with the ciop but without the remote, they're low profile and won't be as obvious hanging out of the ignition. Any decent locksmith (like me) can set you up with one at a fraction of the cost of the fobix.

rcmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine
I don't have those issues. I turn up my AC to max, shut of the truck, get out with the key. I use the FOB to remote start my truck which also automatically locks all doors. The only down side is that it will shut down after 15 minutes although I can do the remote start again.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remote start systems have become cheap and easily installed. They basically plug in to the OBD2 port via a splitter cable. You can get them so that they use your original key fob buttons verse having another remote. My truck was key only, no keyless system, so I got fob and all and can start/stop and restart by remote. It will also allow for you to press the remote start while running, remove the key and exit and will stay running and lock the doors.

PS, as I have a 2 way remote, i.e. it communicates with the system in the truck to confirm what has been requested is done. I have one that uses just tones and colors on the little led in it vs the actual LCD screen version. But the nice part is it tells me when it shuts off due to time, i.e. the 15 minute mark so that I can restart remotely if I need to, i.e. keep cool / warm for dog.

Yes he is a pampered pooch...
IMG_1249.JPG
He even has his own riding deck in the back of the truck and ramp to get in and out of the truck.
IMG_0249.jpg

Last edited:

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the tip of the fob as close to the ignition switch as you can, stick your thumb or whatever finger will fit in the ignition switch and crank the engine over. Truck wont notice that the key isnt actually in the ignition and you can go about your day