2014 Sport 5.7 - magic oil capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blindman13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question for the guys that do their own oil changes. Ive changed my trucks oil 5 or 6 times now. Every time i drain the oil, i only get about 5.5-6 quarts. I always fill 7. The dip stick says oil hovers on or under the waffle.

Today about 5 came out. Where does the oil go? I dont have a leak that I can tell. After filling 7 after all these years, ud think 7 would come out at some point.

Anyone else experincing this phenomenon?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Question for the guys that do their own oil changes. Ive changed my trucks oil 5 or 6 times now. Every time i drain the oil, i only get about 5.5-6 quarts. I always fill 7. The dip stick says oil hovers on or under the waffle.

Today about 5 came out. Where does the oil go? I dont have a leak that I can tell. After filling 7 after all these years, ud think 7 would come out at some point.

Might be time you learned to check your oil more often.Get in the habit of pulling the dipstick at least once a week or more often.I'd lay odds if you'd checked it before your oil change you would of been getting close to the "add" mark.Engines do use oil,it's a fact of life.You might want to check your throttle body,as odds are it'll be getting dirty from the oil/crankcase mist that's been sucked past it,through the pcv system

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
7qt should get your middle to top of the hashed mark on your dip stick.

Remember that you're going to have somewhere around a half quart between spillage and what's in the filter.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It goes to consumption. Some past the rings on cold idle, some through the PVC system into the intake.
Be glad you don't have a GM, where they say its "normal" to burn 1-2 qts. in 2,000 miles (depending on what engine).
Yeah I kept an extra quart of oil in the truck(GMC) at all times lol.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have a 13 and notice the same, although one of my cylinder heads has a hole in it due to a mechanic drilling into the oil galley when fixing the exhaust manifold, other than that minor modification I dont know.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
All trucks have a pcv that takes blow by and burns it, or gets caught in catch can. Each truck is different, the larger the tolerances at the rings the more is gonna burn, Losing a quart or two in the average oil interval is zero issue.