2014 water leak - not 3rd brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive already replaced the gasket around my 3rd brake light and upon re inspection, can tell that its been dry. I pulled up the edges of the roof "gasket" that runs down both sides, and it appears to have a small gap in the sealant between the rear window and the truck. I just placed a small bead of black silicone in there to fill in. Ill report back if it works. Heading into the rainy season in FL and dont need to have water intrusion in my nice truck!

On a side note, what is used to keep the gasket fixed to the roof? Is it body molding tape or something?

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive already replaced the gasket around my 3rd brake light and upon re inspection, can tell that its been dry. I pulled up the edges of the roof "gasket" that runs down both sides, and it appears to have a small gap in the sealant between the rear window and the truck. I just placed a small bead of black silicone in there to fill in. Ill report back if it works. Heading into the rainy season in FL and dont need to have water intrusion in my nice truck!

On a side note, what is used to keep the gasket fixed to the roof? Is it body molding tape or something?

Do you have any pictures of the location of the roof gasket where there is a gap?

djarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a leak that wasn't the third brake light. It was the passenger cab vent behind the back seat. I put a bead of silicone around it and it stopped the leaking. I found it doing the rear seat fold down mod.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on this and the brake light leak, I wonder if it makes sense to use silicon as a preventative measure even with no leaks. I know not every vehicle gets a leak, but if you do the staining must suck.

Last edited:

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did the Customtronix gold + which included a new oem 3rd brake light. When I pulled my stock one out (2013 LL CC) there was a noticeable difference in the new gasket materials when I compared the two. Mine never leaked but I still siliconed the new one for peace if mind.

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update - Putting some silicone caulk in the tiny holes under the drip rails solved the problem. We've had lots of rain lately, and the truck interior has been dry.

RAMMIN_TIME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update - Putting some silicone caulk in the tiny holes under the drip rails solved the problem. We've had lots of rain lately, and the truck interior has been dry.

I'm having some leaks also, '14 2500. Dealer has replaced 3rd brake light AND resealed rear window with no help. What are the tiny holes you are speaking about? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk