2015 Electronic Power Steering Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 35,500 mile the power steering started to act up. The steering wheel was very stiff for the 1st 15 degrees of a turn, then loosen up to normal, and then stiff again as you continued to turn the wheel. Also when you turned the wheel, it would not return. So as you went around a bend, you'd better be prepared to straighten the wheel... As it stated to happen it would come and go, but as it warmed up it would be normal. Until now as its acting up all the time now.

I 1st checked for a recall... there was an issue with a few steering racks, but my vin was not part of the recall.

Mileage continues to climb... now up to 36,500. Called the warranty dept., was told they needed an authorization work order from a dealer before they could get involved.

Got an appointment at the local dealer, took it in and was told sorry we over booked and you bring it in next week... mileage now up to almost 37,000... Took it back in today (now mileage over 37,200.) and asked if I could get a ride to my office as it's just down the street. The warranty manager offered... I mentioned we should take my truck so he could see 1st hand the issue... I explain to him it's there to have the steering looked at... he pulls out onto the road and was like HOLY CRAP what's wrong with the steering... I again explain I believe it's the Electronic Assisted Power Steering failing. He was shocked... I also threw in that I believe it's a safety hazard... that I can't allow anyone but me to drive the truck ...
i_rolleyes.gif

Just received a call from the dealer... yes it's the Electronic Assisted Power Steering Rack that needs replaced... was told even though you are over your warranty mileage, we're going to complete the repairs under the warranty...
smiley_thumbs_up.gif

I priced the parts from Dodge... minimum $1,500 plus labor, so at least $2,000.... to replace the steering rack.

Thanks God they honored the warranty or it could have gotten ugly...

Kevin1106

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wrong thread buddy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members