2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman current gear indication not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elexwiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2015 1500 Tradesman. All is good except for the gear indication on the instrument cluster. PARK and +/- are the only gears that illuminate green when selected. Reverse, Neutral, and Drive do not illuminate at all when selected. Here are some pics.

PXL_20240217_134441234.jpg PXL_20240217_134444349.jpgPXL_20240217_134446215.jpgPXL_20240217_134448184.jpg

The truck came from a state that does not have vehicle inspections. My state mandates vehicle inspections and I will fail without a positive gear indicator.

I have searched and searched but have not been able to find this problem. I do not believe it is related to the common shifting issues because it shifts just fine, but I could be wrong. FWIW, when driving it shifts up and down without issue, and it goes into each gear (P, R, N, D) without hesitation when changing gears.

Does anyone have any experience or insight with this issue? Thank you for your time.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My guess is its time to replace the instrument cluster. Apparently, the information is being received correctly by the instrument cluster but it is unable to display the proper color. If it were my truck, I would start there.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just bought a 2015 1500 Tradesman. All is good except for the gear indication on the instrument cluster. PARK and +/- are the only gears that illuminate green when selected. Reverse, Neutral, and Drive do not illuminate at all when selected. Here are some pics.

View attachment 537771 View attachment 537772View attachment 537773View attachment 537774

The truck came from a state that does not have vehicle inspections. My state mandates vehicle inspections and I will fail without a positive gear indicator.

I have searched and searched but have not been able to find this problem. I do not believe it is related to the common shifting issues because it shifts just fine, but I could be wrong. FWIW, when driving it shifts up and down without issue, and it goes into each gear (P, R, N, D) without hesitation when changing gears.

Does anyone have any experience or insight with this issue? Thank you for your time.
As previously stated, the LEDs are likely faulty at those locations on the gear cluster board. You can swap clusters completely legally and use a tool like AlfaOBD to update the engine hours and mileage at a greatly reduced cost from what a dealership will charge because by law the dealers must use a third party to swap clusters and keep the vehicle immobile while the core is sent away and a new cluster sent back. With Alfa, you can do this yourself in under an hour (and even upgrade to the premium cluster should you so desire).

OP
OP
E

elexwiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, both! I just ordered a used one from ebay for $90. These aren't plug-and-play? I would have thought the engine hours and odometer data would be in the ECU and not the cluster. Guess I'll buy the AlfaOBD. I need to recalibrate the speedo as well because the previous owner swapped out the OEM 17" wheels for the 20". First time on the highway I was getting mad at the other drivers for going so damn slow... :rofl:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you, both! I just ordered a used one from ebay for $90. These aren't plug-and-play? I would have thought the engine hours and odometer data would be in the ECU and not the cluster. Guess I'll buy the AlfaOBD. I need to recalibrate the speedo as well because the previous owner swapped out the OEM 17" wheels for the 20". First time on the highway I was getting mad at the other drivers for going so damn slow... :rofl:
It's stored in multiple locations but the cluster has its own counter. $90 is a great price and if your lens is in better shape I think you swap them on those clusters too.

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you read the statute in your state? Because, unless it specifies that a light be present (which many vehicles don't have), the selected gear going from lit to not-lit IS a positive indication of which gear is selected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517