2016 Eco-Diesel Tone Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I was driving my 2016 1500 Eco-Diesel, 55k miles, on the highway yesterday and it shuddered hard for a couple of seconds, then lost some power. Then a dreaded ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control’ message appeared. I had it in the dealership last week for the fuel pump recall service and thought maybe there was some connection (not really, but who knows).

Took it to the dealership this morning, I was the second customer in-line, and told the service writer that I did not have an appointment and asked if they could get to it today, he said they should be. He took all my and my truck’s info and I went to sit in the waiting room. About 30 minutes he came in and said the tone wheel was the problem and it needed to be replaced and one should be there tomorrow. Even mentioned that the transmission needs to be pulled to do the work. Glad I did not contemplate doing it myself. Before I could ask about the cost, he said it was all covered by the extended warranty, I am guessing the one where FCA extended it due to the Eco-Diesel settlement. He also told me that even though the truck was drivable, he suggested that I not drive it and got me into a loaner car which is a brand new Grand Cherokee with 792 miles.

Comical side story. When I called the number on the fuel pump recall letter, after being transferred around, someone told me a software update was all that was needed. Damn near choked from laughing so hard.

Sometimes dealers get a bad reputation for not having great customer service, but in the eight years since I bought this truck, they have done well by me.