2017 Duramax numbers are in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modern diesels are amazing. 10 years ago you could only dream of 900 ft lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I blame ST, he let us down :D

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love the marketing/mind game Chevy/GMC plays with Ford. 5HP over but under the torque. As if saying, "okay, lets agree on a draw.... for now." I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the backroom meetings of engineers and marketing teams for "The Big 3."

Yeah, for the time being Ram is looking like it's in the dark ages with a paltry HP/Torque rating :)

I'm content with my Hemi but these new #s definitely get my attention. I do wish the Ram had more HP. The torque is great and all for towing but my reality is using my truck as a daily driver 95% of the time. When I test drove the 6.4 and Cummins back to back the sluggish off the line performance of the Cummins was a disappointment. That and $6000 in my pocket made me opt for the gasser.

Is there any word on when Ram will redesign or upgrade engine specs for the Cummins? Or, are we waiting to learn if they are still even a team?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the end, what do you get for the listed ratings above????? I would bet a very large sammich that that you get a lot more torque for the dollar.
But, but, but they tow the IKE faster!!!

Honestly, I wish that instead of 3 power levels for the Cummins they would offer 2. The lower power for less $$$. Let's face it, most of us don't need 900lbft, or even 800. 660 is more than plenty for most of us everyday cats who tow a medium sized RV. Maybe even go back to a 5.9l or similar alternative with less weight for 2500. Maybe a little better MPG and more usable payload on paper.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the marketing/mind game Chevy/GMC plays with Ford. 5HP over but under the torque. As if saying, "okay, lets agree on a draw.... for now." I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the backroom meetings of engineers and marketing teams for "The Big 3."

I'm wondering what GM did to the Allison 1000 to get it to handle the new found power and how invasive the torque management will be.

Yeah, for the time being Ram is looking like it's in the dark ages with a paltry HP/Torque rating :)

Personally, I don't think the Cummins will play second fiddle for long. They found 50 lbft of torque last year with just tuning. Ford found 65.

I'm content with my Hemi but these new #s definitely get my attention. I do wish the Ram had more HP. The torque is great and all for towing but my reality is using my truck as a daily driver 95% of the time. When I test drove the 6.4 and Cummins back to back the sluggish off the line performance of the Cummins was a disappointment. That and $6000 in my pocket made me opt for the gasser.

I think there is a module that increases the throttle sensitivity of the cummins to help this issue. However, I think the TQ management is so intrusive until 3rd gear it really doesn't out perform the hemi when empty until 3rd gear. The 6.4 really, really, really needs a transmission geared for a gasser.

Is there any word on when Ram will redesign or upgrade engine specs for the Cummins? Or, are we waiting to learn if they are still even a team?

Looks like 2019 for 1500, likely the year after for 2500. But in don't think they will wait until then to up power. That is IF there is capacity to handle the increase with current drivetrain.
As far as being a team, personally I don't see them ending their lucrative relationship anytime soon. However, if the current drivetrain is maxed out, 3 yrs of trailing the competition might be the perfect time to unveil a potential Cummins replacement or upgraded offering from "C".

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With a spread of 25lbs, all over 900, I'd stick with the Cummins.
I gotta agree with this. 25lbs when you're dealing with 900+ for average users? That's like ******* in an olympic size pool. You're not gonna notice unless you're looking for it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
It's a numbers game. Just look at the ratings of the engines in the chassis cabs compared to the HD.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just imagine where they'd be if the EPA wasn't holding them back.

No need to imagine.

My buddys Cummins tuned by EFIbyRyan.
20160823_193403.jpg

From what I have heard from the tuners you are limited to about 530 hp at the wheels with the stock turbo with a good intake.

These numbers and the 3 mpg(hand calculated) he got when he deleted it makes it very tempting even at the expense of being a hypocrite.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Personally, I don't think the Cummins will play second fiddle for long. They found 50 lbft of torque last year with just tuning. Ford found 65.

Yeah, Cummins did it with just tuning. Ford on the other hand did it by adding a bigger turbo in 2015.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ST, how much can the Aisin handle?

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would imagine the Aisin could handle 1200 lb-ft if you stayed out of the lower half of the accellerator area. You know, drive it like an old lady.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am still quite impressed by my truck when hammering down. The turbo spool sounds great with the S&B air box. I really liked my 05 and 08 (deleted) but this truck is a monster. Having owned a Duramax, I will never own one again. Not impressed by Ford trucks anymore either.