2017 Ram 1500 8.4 Connect Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frakchered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I am gonna go out on a limb and say my 8.4 Connect radio is probably hosed. Here is my original issue, followed by what is happening now.

So original problem was the radio would stay on after shutting the truck off and opening the door. For a good half minute. Researched it, most sites saying it needs the update. I believe the version I have is 18.09.01 or something like it. I would load a USB (4gb Kingston FAT32 and NTFS) and the radio would say something like incompatible files. I then tried to do the soft reset to see if it would reset the radio to allow the USB hub to work. After reset the USB wouldn't even be read. I also noticed I had a world of new problems. XM Sirius says loading please wait, bluetooth for hands free is a similar message, radio stations will not save into the system anymore and last few times I drove the truck since yesterday I had to turn the fog lights on as they are not staying on. I have also noticed the screen image and colors will change. One time the RAM logo will be on the back with orange color for the button, then I will have the Uconnect logo with blue color for the buttons.

I am gonna assume this is gonna be a trip to the dealer, not to mention expensive as the truck is out of warranty.

Any suggestions or tips to try?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I am gonna go out on a limb and say my 8.4 Connect radio is probably hosed. Here is my original issue, followed by what is happening now.

So original problem was the radio would stay on after shutting the truck off and opening the door. For a good half minute. Researched it, most sites saying it needs the update. I believe the version I have is 18.09.01 or something like it. I would load a USB (4gb Kingston FAT32 and NTFS) and the radio would say something like incompatible files. I then tried to do the soft reset to see if it would reset the radio to allow the USB hub to work. After reset the USB wouldn't even be read. I also noticed I had a world of new problems. XM Sirius says loading please wait, bluetooth for hands free is a similar message, radio stations will not save into the system anymore and last few times I drove the truck since yesterday I had to turn the fog lights on as they are not staying on. I have also noticed the screen image and colors will change. One time the RAM logo will be on the back with orange color for the button, then I will have the Uconnect logo with blue color for the buttons.

I am gonna assume this is gonna be a trip to the dealer, not to mention expensive as the truck is out of warranty.

Any suggestions or tips to try?
Personally I would try to buy a salvage radio and swap it out to see if the issue persists. It will be cheaper then the dealer and a similar fix if the radio is at fault. These radios can be swapped in under 15 minutes.

OP
OP
frakchered

frakchered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I would try to buy a salvage radio and swap it out to see if the issue persists. It will be cheaper then the dealer and a similar fix if the radio is at fault. These radios can be swapped in under 15 minutes.
I was thinking of the same thing. Ebay they are around 500 bucks. I will have to google it to see if there is anything cheaper.

OP
OP
frakchered

frakchered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I reached out to the guys at Infotainment.com. $140 to do a Bench test, firmware upgrade and let me know if any issues are going on. I will report back in a week or so what was done and if my issues were fixed.

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Luckily enough my radio took a crap 3 days after i got it and since it was a CPO the dealer had to cover it. If you dont want to see a almost 2k charge or at least that is the billing sheet they gave me when I got my truck back then find a different radio that works or find one online and do it yourself. Did you get a warranty at all that may help you cover. I know that there is $100 deductible with the Chrysler MasterTech warranty. Might be worth a try to contact FCA since there is a class action lawsuit against them for 8.4 Uconnect but no known date of resolution on it. Does the screen look like its becoming delaminated?

OP
OP
frakchered

frakchered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So here is my update, I got the radio back from infotainment. Just as they predicted my radio needed the update to the 18.45.01 or what ever the numbers are that is the latest update. I got it back int he truck and it is fully operational and back to normal. I was able to reconnect my phone, and SIRIUSXM radio fired right up. $140 vs. $2k is a lot better.