2018 1500 3.6L V6 - Radiator leak advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mangooT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Got myself a great deal on a 2018 1500 3.6L V6 2018 Tradesman 120,000 miles a few months, very smooth truck overall I'm happy with it - using it as a daily driver. It was previously a construction fleet vehicle so had a lot of idle time but gave that big girl a few detailing sessions and we're back on track!
Got what looks like a radiator leak so I also came here to ask the RAM experts confirmation on this and any advices Thinking of potentially doing it myself but never done a swap like this before.
Here are a few pictures. It's only coming from the top right (when facing the car). The bolt was loose the first time I noticed this and could be moved by hand. I tightened it in the hope for it to help but that didn't work clearly. It was quite flowing when turning off the engine back from work. Coolant levels still okay and no engine temperature increases yet.
Looks like $150 or so for a new radiator. What do you recommend? Thanks

Attachments

• tempImagel9G798.png
    tempImagel9G798.png
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 14
  • tempImageEH7Vrf.png
    tempImageEH7Vrf.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got myself a great deal on a 2018 1500 3.6L V6 2018 Tradesman 120,000 miles a few months, very smooth truck overall I'm happy with it - using it as a daily driver. It was previously a construction fleet vehicle so had a lot of idle time but gave that big girl a few detailing sessions and we're back on track!
Got what looks like a radiator leak so I also came here to ask the RAM experts confirmation on this and any advices Thinking of potentially doing it myself but never done a swap like this before.
Here are a few pictures. It's only coming from the top right (when facing the car). The bolt was loose the first time I noticed this and could be moved by hand. I tightened it in the hope for it to help but that didn't work clearly. It was quite flowing when turning off the engine back from work. Coolant levels still okay and no engine temperature increases yet.
Looks like $150 or so for a new radiator. What do you recommend? Thanks
First question,is where are you finding a rad for $150,post a link so other guys with a rad issue can find this $150 rad.

OP
OP
M

mangooT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Carparts is where I found the cheapest around $160 actually

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Carparts is where I found the cheapest around $160 actually
They are usually an aluminum center with plastic side tanks. The heat cycles kill the plastic and/or gasket that joins the two parts. Not a hard job to replace, but I have always used OEM. Fits right, every time.

OP
OP
M

mangooT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Probably new.
Any advice/recommendation on the actual problem at hand? How much have you had to pay in the past for a full radiator replacement, and is that what I should consider?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First of all someone should put an eye on the actual root issue. It might be a loose or cracked hose. Or leaking water pump drizzling down the lower radiator hose and making it seem like a radiator leak. Or it might be an actual radiator leak. I've ordered a lot of parts before digging into the job and when I did, ...had the wrong parts, or ordered parts I didn't need. So, might not hurt to get a 2nd opinion if you haven't done many radiator jobs. Any ole mechanical shop ought to be able to replace a radiator. Or at least watch a few videos on the subject and dig into it more ...before ordering parts.

It's going to cost more if you take it to a shop bc they're going to buy a radiator at NAPA ...most likely. They'll charge you List price for it plus the labor.

However, even though you might be able to buy parts for less, you might end up with inferior parts, and/or take waaay more time to do it (or not do as good of a job). If that happens you haven't really saved much. There are plenty of videos out there on the job. Go watch a few and see if the job is within your wheelhouse. Then you might have more information wheather you want to tackle it or not. But overall, if you do it yourself it should save you quite a bit ..if you do a good job.

If you're young and like learning mechanical skills, new things, always wanted to get started with mechanical things ...and like working with tools ..this is a great job to start on. It's not that difficult. If you're old/obese with 6 fused vertebrae and bad knees...probably not the job to start on.

:waytogo:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should probably plan on replacing the anti-freeze with new (and distilled water, or buy pre-mixed) ...which is probably an overdue maintenance item on your list. You need special Mopar-safe coolant. And when the radiator is out, That's a good time to look into the quality of the drive belt, and hoses.

Grab your truck's cooling fan attached to the motor (if yours has one) and wiggle it to see if it's loose. Watch video "How to identify a leaky waterpump" and see if yours is leaking by chance. That becomes a larger job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat