2018 PW - service EBS light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My service electronic braking system light comes on and off intermittently. Contacted dealer who says the hydraulic control module needs to be replaced. Said the part has been backordered for 2.5 years. Is this a line of bull or is there really a serious backorder problem ?

Concerned in Texas

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I went through this with my 2018 about a year ago. There are other simpler and less costly reasons for this also. My truck also started with the intermittent stuff too. Eventually I went to the dealer hoping some warrantee coverage may be there. They told me the part in question was also back ordered for a t least a month and no warrantee coverage for this common issue. This was just before a planned 700 mile road trip. I told the dealer I would have it done locally at my destination and magically he located the part for the next day! Not sure if that was really the issue but the problem has been gone since the repair.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I got this issue right now with my 2019 ram 1500 classic. Help haul my buddies Harley in the bed. Dropped it off and On my way home light kept going on and off. It’s been doing it again today, Hopi g it’s just a abs sensor and not the dam wheel hub and bearing.

OP
OP
Charlie W

Charlie W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I went through this with my 2018 about a year ago. There are other simpler and less costly reasons for this also. My truck also started with the intermittent stuff too. Eventually I went to the dealer hoping some warrantee coverage may be there. They told me the part in question was also back ordered for a t least a month and no warrantee coverage for this common issue. This was just before a planned 700 mile road trip. I told the dealer I would have it done locally at my destination and magically he located the part for the next day! Not sure if that was really the issue but the problem has been gone since the repair.
Is there any way to pull codes without an OBD scanner ? Used to be able to do it with a key switch trick in my older Ram. Trying to see if it's a sensor, or hydraulic controller, also which wheel to start on.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
Is there any way to pull codes without an OBD scanner ? Used to be able to do it with a key switch trick in my older Ram. Trying to see if it's a sensor, or hydraulic controller, also which wheel to start on.
I think the only way to pull them is with a good scanner, the cheap ones don’t work. I tried last night with the obd2 from Wally World and it does not pull those codes. Tonight I will check my front abs wires and connections and also wiggle the tire to see if the bearing is shot on a tire. Then if that doesn’t work I maybe grab up the alpha obd, security cable, and a cheap tablet. I will get the obd no matter what in time, but the ding and no cruise control blows.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
If you have a voltage tester, can also set it to ohms and put two nails in the plug of the abs sensor. Set it to 2000 ohms and see if it’s between 800-2000 ohms. I just watched a video on that. Just sucks not knowing which tire is the issue. Going to be a fun issue to chase I guess.