2018 ram 1500 Uconnect radio delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrjewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently occurred. Radio now makes random calls and changes radio stations at random. A lot. This seems to be quite a common problem. Is there a way to get this resolved without paying the price to have dealer install a new system? Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jrjewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Checked out the Youtube vids of the DIY. Looks dicey but may end up going that route if that's the best solution. Seems like Uconnect might be willing to step in and assist since it appears to be a common occurrence.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. Checked out the Youtube vids of the DIY. Looks dicey but may end up going that route if that's the best solution. Seems like Uconnect might be willing to step in and assist since it appears to be a common occurrence.
My 2018 was a CPO and out of the basic 3/36 warranty when my radio delaminated. Local dealer said it was a known problem and they replaced it for a $100 deductible which included a one year warranty. It’s been two years and so far so good. A new or refurbished radio is expensive, if you get no satisfaction from Uconnect or Ram I’d go the route mtnrider suggested. The new screens are about $300 on flea bay. If you’re handy the repair will be no problem. It’s literally a few bolts, nuts, screws and a ribbon cable. Removing the radio from the truck will take longer than the radio repair. If you decide to purchase a new screen be sure to get the models that end in SL(02) or SL(03). Stay away from the SL(01) as that is the screen that delaminates.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done it. It sucks. Lubetube vids don't do it justice. It's relatively easy to tear it down and get to the screen. What sucks is the GOOP that they used between the screen and digitizer. It's the stickiest gummiest crap I've ever had to remove. Horrible.

OP
OP
J

jrjewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I THINK that if you purchase the entire screen (about $300 - $400) vs. only the digitizer (about $50) then you avoid dealing with the glue/goop. Which - looks like a royal pain in the butt. I'm hoping that if you spend the extra $'s for the screen it comes with a digitizer so you won't have to use the old one. Not sure but will confirm.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks. I THINK that if you purchase the entire screen (about $300 - $400) vs. only the digitizer (about $50) then you avoid dealing with the glue/goop. Which - looks like a royal pain in the butt. I'm hoping that if you spend the extra $'s for the screen it comes with a digitizer so you won't have to use the old one. Not sure but will confirm.
Screens come with digitizer. SL03 is the corrected part revision for your issue.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Recently occurred. Radio now makes random calls and changes radio stations at random. A lot. This seems to be quite a common problem. Is there a way to get this resolved without paying the price to have dealer install a new system? Thanks.
@RamCares has helped others in your situation get their radio replaced. Maybe they can chime in.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As SitKneelBend stated SL(03) is your best option. The unit the dealer put in my vehicle was a refurbished unit and it has the SL(02) screen. I do know my SL(02) screen is glossy and reflects light badly. Had to put a matte screen protector over it. I believe the SL(03) is a matte finish.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am no wizard but found this to be a really easy repair. I replaced the digitizer only with an oem LG one from eBay, $59. I found 70% isopropyl worked way better than Goo Gone or anything else. I wore disposable gloves, bought a three pack of disposable plastic putty knives at Ace Hardware and a pack of plastic razor blades plus a roll of paper towels and a lot of microfibers. Biggest thing to remember is after the oozing glue is gone and you're trying to clean the LCD always wipe away from the Center of the screen towards the outside edges because the goo always lives underneath the edge so if you touch the edges you'll just smear it back out there. Final clean to take the haze off was a mixture of water, white vinegar and a few drops of Dawn dish soap. Total time from removal to reinstall about an hour and a half and always remember to pull the radio fuse by the brake booster before you start.
So here's my disclaimer,, this is how I did this repair, anything I wrote is just the procedure I used and is purely my opinion. Other people may have some fantastic other ideas but my procedure worked 100% for me and I couldn't be happier that I spent $59 instead of $400.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am no wizard but found this to be a really easy repair. I replaced the digitizer only with an oem LG one from eBay, $59. I found 70% isopropyl worked way better than Goo Gone or anything else. I wore disposable gloves, bought a three pack of disposable plastic putty knives at Ace Hardware and a pack of plastic razor blades plus a roll of paper towels and a lot of microfibers. Biggest thing to remember is after the oozing glue is gone and you're trying to clean the LCD always wipe away from the Center of the screen towards the outside edges because the goo always lives underneath the edge so if you touch the edges you'll just smear it back out there. Final clean to take the haze off was a mixture of water, white vinegar and a few drops of Dawn dish soap. Total time from removal to reinstall about an hour and a half and always remember to pull the radio fuse by the brake booster before you start.
So here's my disclaimer,, this is how I did this repair, anything I wrote is just the procedure I used and is purely my opinion. Other people may have some fantastic other ideas but my procedure worked 100% for me and I couldn't be happier that I spent $59 instead of $400.
Ebay link?

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

2018-ExtendedTank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought my 2018 RAM 1500 used a couple of years ago. The delamination started soon afterwards. At 31,666 miles, I took it to my local RAM dealership. They said a new unit would cost $1,000 plus labor. At the time, it only affected the clock.
Fastforward to 40,200 miles and the entire UConnect unit is completely unusable. Even an after market radio / media unit would cost $1,000 for unit, install kit, and installation.
@RamCares was unable to help me.

Last edited:

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I bought my 2018 RAM 1500 used a couple of years ago. The delamination started soon afterwards. At 31,666 miles, I took it to my local RAM dealership. They said a new unit would cost $1,000 plus labor. At the time, it only affected the clock.
Fastforward to 40,200 miles and the entire UConnect unit is completely unusable. Even an after market radio / media unit would cost $1,000 for unit, install kit, and installation.
@RamCares was unable to help me.

Not sure I understand why RamCares could not help here. It’s a known issue. I have a 2018 2500 and the screen was delaminating. RamCares opened a case and kicked it over to Uconnect, who also opened a case and shipped a replacement unit to my dealer right away, at no cost. I have a lifetime MaxCare but no deductible was charged, it was covered outside of the MaxCare