2018 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KcDieselTech84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I'm new to the group. I have a 2018 ram 1500. im trying to install a factory brake control module and switch. What all items do i need to complete the process on the computer side? Cables and such. Im seeing there is a security bypass cable on alfaobd website. All that I need is the security cable, alfaobd download and a cable from pc to obd2 port correct? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I'm new to the group. I have a 2018 ram 1500. im trying to install a factory brake control module and switch. What all items do i need to complete the process on the computer side? Cables and such. Im seeing there is a security bypass cable on alfaobd website. All that I need is the security cable, alfaobd download and a cable from pc to obd2 port correct? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I don’t know if the newer version of AlfaOBD is more windows friendly than the older version. When I went with Alfa back in 2019 the PC/Windows based version had little support and not much use by owners here. Most of the YouTube vids I’ve seen around Alfa use the Android version. I originally purchased the windows version and after tinkering with it for a few hours emailed the contact person and asked to get the android version instead. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A cheap android tablet will work I got one off OfferUp for 20 bucks and as always backup your files each time you change something just in case you fumblefart it !

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A cheap android tablet will work I got one off OfferUp for 20 bucks and as always backup your files each time you change something just in case you fumblefart it !
Same here, I purchased an old Amazon Fire tablet from a coworker and even though it’s old and slow it works perfectly with Alfa.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a '16 1500 Sport and am using the AlfaOBD program on a Windows 10 laptop and the OBDLink MX+ (bluetooth). This set up works like a charm and is simple as can be.

On the '18, you'll need the security bypass cable. too. That's it.

The android tablet works well, too, but I like the larger screen. Just a personal preference. Plus downloading and saving the car configuration is much easier on the laptop.

Added the OEM brake controller on mine, too and after installing the physical components, it took all of 5 minutes to do the programming. Works like a charm, but I think the Tekonsha Prodigy 3 I had originally, worked as well and offered more fine tuning options. But was a PITA to locate a good mount location without drilling holes in conspicuous places.

Last edited: