AlfaOBD help recovering auto dim feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, I did a dumb, and now I Need the help of the big brain AlfaOBD wizards.
2018 1500, AlfaOBD, and the security bypass cable that is recomended. I've successfully made some changes, global down, LED lights, all doors unlock on 1 push etc. But I've noticed my rear view and side mirrors have lost the auto dim function. I tried reseting to stock configuration, but my file was blank, hence the "dumb". The uconnect still shows the auto dim button, but it is not selectable. Can someone take pity on this old fool, and help me regain this feature?
Thanks in advance

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start with checking VehConfig 3 for the electrochromic mirror value, make sure you didn't accidentally tell the truck you took the mirrors out, and in Radio and Connectivity, make sure the button is present.

There is also one in Cust.Prog.Features: EC Mirror Auto-Dimming Enabled.

(I have an '18, but I'm not in my truck, so I can't really check the settings myself, but just trying to think of where the options should be.)

OP
OP
S

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First, thank you to 04fxdwgi for sending his file for review. It was so long, I printed out in is entirety and checked line by line. I couldn't find anything different, aside from a couple options his truck has that I don't. I was thinking it was hardware and not software, but now PaleFlyer has given me some things to look for tonight. I will report tomorrow

OP
OP
S

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PaleFlyer, then you again for your suggestions. Everything was set as it should be, so it didn't fix the issue. AlfaOBD did show a fault code, U0213, lost communication with mirror module. I saw on this forum a link to a site for troubleshooting the U0213 so that's my next step. If anyone has any other suggestions in the mean time, please share, this is driving me nuts

OP
OP
S

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update: I went and took another look this morning, and now the radio softkey for auto dim is missing, replaced with display off softkey.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I went and took another look this morning, and now the radio softkey for auto dim is missing, replaced with display off softkey.
The radio does tend to take a bit of time, as well as a "shutdown" (which is seemingly truck OFF, and the driver door open, close, and then some time.)

When my battery died, and the Autozone idiot I let replace it "bumped" the power a couple times when he was connecting it, it took a couple DAYS for the radio to actually FULLY re-adapt to my truck. It kept setting itself to I guess an express, as it had basically no options, and slowly populated as I drove each time.

But once you get the mirror controller talking properly again, the radio should re-adapt in a couple days.

Or you may need to pull power to the radio (There is a fuse, but I don't know which one) that you can pull, wait 5-10 minutes, then replace, and the radio should "rescan". (I didn't have the auto dimmer mirror button from the RECALL (factory installed the wrong mirror in my Rebel) until the battery replacement got the radio to FINALLY re-sync with the BCM).

Which was like 3 YEARS where I had ZERO control over my mirror. Luckily it was set to "ON", but... AlfaOBD settings do seem to apply much faster than the dealer option FYI.