2018 RAM 2500 4x4 Tradesman - Shocks, gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Folks, I need help with a decent app to simply change/delete the tpms threshold. I tried a zillion times to purchase the alphaOBD app from playstore only to constantly get an error [OR-IEH-01]. I struggled thru google help and there is just no way to get help other then get constant loops of no help. I HATE google!

Anyway, on the alphaOBD app feedback, one guy said there is another free OBD app that can do simple things w/o the security bypass. but he doesn't say which app it is. I tried OBDLink app and it doesn't seem to work for tpms. I also tried OBD JScan and when I hit the tire pressure icon, it tells me I need a security bypass, even though I have the bypass hooked up, so I think it wants me to also purchase. Does anyone know of a free OBD app I can use just to simply change my tpms error? I wouldn't mind paying, but google playstore will not let me add a payment method. I keep getting that error. Anyone help?

There is also Tazer, I believe that what's called, but more money to shell out or take it to dealer to reset thresholds, again more money. IIRC correctly, you allegedly can disable TPMS with a Tazer. If using a DYI tool, still need the PIN to change the TPMS thresholds, which is allegedly available from dealer, but could be a major PITA to obtain, if they give it up at all. There is an app called Chrysler PIN puller that retrieves your vehicle's PIN stored somewhere in vehicle's electronics and it may be able to do it the free with points/credits you get. If not, you have to purchase additional points/credits through the app, or whatever they're called.

I have read in other forums AlphaOBD will work if an earlier year, say MY17 or 16, is selected, w/o the bypass cable. Of course that's anecdotal and what ever you do, make sure to back up your baseline configs in case something goes South. If there is any doubt, I would not proceed. If something goes Tango Uniform it could mean a trip to dealer on flatbed or wrecker to have all the control modules re-flashed to baseline configs.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4L V8 OHV 16V FI Engine w/VVT
Right. So I finally contacted Alexey about the google playstore issue and he gave me a direct download link for the app and a link to request to purchase a reg code. All done quickly and I am up and running with the alphaOBD app. whew! So I plan to mess with it tomorrow and mainly get rid of that tpms threshold warning that is driving me crazy. I am new to this OBD stuff and not sure what else I can do with it. I asked Alexey if there was documentation or a manual and he said if he printed a manual for the alphaOBD, it would be thousands of pages because of all the stuff in the OBD. lol. I wish I could find that alphaOBD thread on here, but it seems to be gone.

Lastly, Alexey said I shouldn't need the security code just to change the tpms. However, I took a chance and called my local dealer service and he said, "you want what?" I said the 4 digit security code for my truck. I heard some rumbling and then he asked for the last 8 digits of my VIN... a few seconds later he gave me the 4 digit code... lol. So now I have it if I ever need it.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been waiting since wednesday for a reply from Alexey... thought I would see if someone knew the answer here. I was able to connect the AlphaOBD to my 2018 RAM truck and selected the vehicle info icon on the bottom right of the screen. From there I selected the "tire pressure threshold" and it read Front: 60psi and Rear: 70psi. So I changed the Rear to 60psi, and updated the system. Turned the vehicle completely off and waited a few minutes and turn it back on...

Nope. still giving me the rear tire pressure error flashing white error that Rear Tire to 60 psi, plus the yellow tire_pressure_monitor2.gif tire pressure warning. My rear tire pressure is currently at 65psi. So I went back into the AlphaOBD and changed the Rear to 65psi. Again, turned off the vehicle for a few minutes and started it back up.

Nope. STILL get the warning that Rear tire pressure 65psi, even thought it reads 65psi, along with the yellow warning.

Does anyone familiar with AlphaOBD know how I can get rid of that annoying warnings please. It is literally driving me insane!

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one can help? I have emailed Alexey a few times and I got ZERO reply from him. It feels like I spent the money on the app and get no help. The app is very complex and anyone with little experience with it would be lost. I hope someone can help. I want to get rid of that annoying tpms threshold warning.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one can help? I have emailed Alexey a few times and I got ZERO reply from him. It feels like I spent the money on the app and get no help. The app is very complex and anyone with little experience with it would be lost. I hope someone can help. I want to get rid of that annoying tpms threshold warning.
Air up your tire and turn off your tpms light and then try airing it down. I don’t have the app but that’s what I’d try. My tpms light goes on at 63 from the factory and you have to take it up to 80 to get it to reset. Even if you’re changing the threshold I bet the reset is still the same. I would be setting your tpms min lower also. Set to 50 lbs. Tire cold air pressure in the morning is 7 or 8 degrees lower in the morning than it is at noon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll look thru that thread when I get some free time. But to update, Alexey finally replied and added some screenshots of what to do to update the RF data in the bus (hope I am saying that right). Followed his suggestion, turned of ignition completely and turn it back on.. GONE! Finally I got rid of that annoying tpms warning.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
i dont know but,looking at your pics it looks like your coils are somewhat bowed,check the amount of tire that sticks out of the fender ,i used a five ft level to make sure your front end isnt out of adjustment.And i went with billy 5160``s dont look back,jack
It’s normal. The 14+ Trucks the front coil lower buckets sit at an angle. It’s “dumb” but it’s right. I’ve seen some really bad bow when the caster is way out of adjustment though. Those ones on his truck look just fine.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have another question. I tried searching and reading but can't seem to find my answer. On my FOB I only have the open/closed locks buttons. If I buy a new FOB that additionally has the auto start on it, can I use the alphaFOB to program the FOB so the auto start function works? Or is that something then needs something else in the truck to make it work?

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No one knows the answer?

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No one knows the answer?
It will not. Additional HW required. Check the numerous online sites for MOPAR parts for trucks. They sell the kits for in the $200-300 range, IIRC. Dealer will also install turnkey.

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ok folks. I went out to my truck and snapped a few pics for you on my front shocks and springs. It doesn't appear there is a disc above the spring. I could be wrong. I took two angle pics and hopefully it helps. If it is not leveled, it sure does seem level and high.

I also included a pic of my tire pressure settings. YEP! The rear tires are clipping in the 70's and the fronts are mid 50's. So I will increase the front to around 55 and bring the rear down to 50. Hopefully that resolves the harsh bumps.

Last pic is what my friendly local birds think of my truck. This is a daily thing and I have to power wash occasionally. It seems they want to sit right above and do their number... lol.

View attachment 248148 View attachment 248149 View attachment 248150 View attachment 248151
Coils and shocks look factory to me. The factory coils (1 or both) are going to be bowed because of the way the axle is set up and that articulink set up. Completely normal. Might fix it with some aftermarket coils/leveling, not a spacer.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will not. Additional HW required. Check the numerous online sites for MOPAR parts for trucks. They sell the kits for in the $200-300 range, IIRC. Dealer will also install turnkey.

Ah... ok. thanks for answering. I figured additional hardware was needed, but wasn't sure.