2018 ram 2500 ABS module/ Control unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

g711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey guys. I have a 2018 ram 2500 with a bad ABS pump..again. I already have had 3 replaced and now this one is bad. My truck only has 24k miles. I Can be without my truck and every dealer said the truck would sit for 2 weeks before they can take a look at it . The original dealer says they would have to start a “star claim” if I leave it, which could take a really long time and the truck would have to stay there. They also refuse to sell me the unit since it’s the 3rd one to go bad. Has anyone figure a solution to this or found a place to buy one? I just want this damn thing fixed.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Lots of information on this site around this.

- make sure you report it to the nhsta. That's the only way anything will ever happen policy-wise. This is happening A WHOLE LOT. This is extremely important, and anybody who is reading this thread please take the ~ 30 minutes to fill out a report. It's very easy and it's how you hold manufacturers accountable.

- a starter/alternator shop may be able to fix it. The ABS pump motor brushes are probably stuck.

- the part is generally available online, at least the -AA revision of it. Different supply chain than the dealer service counter. Parts are allocated for over the counter sales that you may be able to find to order for yourself.

OP
OP
G

g711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
i have already filled out that report with the nhsta. Just having trouble trying to find the updated part. I have read where some people have pulled some motors off of other year modules and have had success. I might need to try that route. Every module I’ve had has lasted less than 2 years and always seems to coincidently go bad around this time of the year.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once you get it changed, why not take yours apart and do a post mortem on it. Or have someone who knows what they're looking at take it apart.

More than likely it's heating up inside, solder joints on the connector (or another internal part) are cracking, or some-such issue. Brushes or motor windings..

Last edited:

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine have lasted 2 years each as well. You can pull just the motor off without removing the HCU supposedly. Worth a try since yours is shot anyway. You can also pull the fuse for it(F26 rings a bell for some reason?) And it'll at least stop the constant disco show on the dash.

Thanks for filing the paperwork. Most people don't bother with it.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I’d suggest sending a DM to RamCares, they may be able to expedite a solution for you. I had the HCU replaced on my 2018 2500 back in the spring. It was replaced with the newer part number ending in AB, they have been out there for a while now. I had contacted RamCares and they opened a case and had a new HCU at my dealer in a week- the dealer was shocked because they had trucks lined up for this part for months.

The current UAW strike will not help since it’s affecting the parts distribution centers, but you can get the ball rolling at least. RamCares may also be able to get you some goodwill in regards to cost as well, given you have replaced this multiple times already.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree ...The sooner you get on it, the sooner you might get it going (parts availability could get tough if the strikes go on a while).

OP
OP
G

g711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the suggestions. I have sent a message to Ramcares on here. Down in south Florida it’s impossible to find a dealer that will have time to look at my truck. Service is terrible.

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the part off ebay make sure its new. I have the exact same truck and same problem happend. Look at my post when I installed mine. The stealership is just trying to screw you. The part is easily found online. And still no recall which is a damn shame.

OP
OP
G

g711

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’ve been searching for it . Only ones that come up are used ones on EBay

BobLaP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just had my HCU replaced for the second time, my first replacement was the AA part and it lasted less than 6k miles/11 months. During the first replacement they cross threaded one of the brake lines so I had a very slow fluid leak, a couple of weeks ago my dealership paid a local performance shop to replace the brake line but my HCU was damaged so bad it still leaked but even I could live with until the redesigned HCU should be available sometime after Feb 2024. A few of the newer AB HCUs showed up at my dealership so they replaced my HCU but Technician did not bother to check for leaks. It now leaks more than before HCU was just replaced.

MAGRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lots of information on this site around this.

- make sure you report it to the nhsta. That's the only way anything will ever happen policy-wise. This is happening A WHOLE LOT. This is extremely important, and anybody who is reading this thread please take the ~ 30 minutes to fill out a report. It's very easy and it's how you hold manufacturers accountable.

- a starter/alternator shop may be able to fix it. The ABS pump motor brushes are probably stuck.

- the part is generally available online, at least the -AA revision of it. Different supply chain than the dealer service counter. Parts are allocated for over the counter sales that you may be able to find to order for yourself.
Hi Choupique- 12-11-2023 I looked on nhtsa recall and investigations reports, I see no ongoing investigations on this ABS control lights on dash at all. I'm about to add my two cents in also. I had a very near miss yesterday on wet roads and could have been prevented with the equipment working properly. Please let me know if anyone hears any progress on this with a recall fix. My dealer just told me to keep driving it till the lights stayed on then maybe they could figure it out. UNACCEPTABLE...

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Here's a screenshot of the open investigation.

The light isn't going to stay on unless you pull the fuse for the ABS system. It's an intermittent contact issue and it's going to ding away until you fix it. There's a TSB out there around this issue, and what the proper troubleshooting steps are. Your dealer should be following those. What codes does it have when the lights are on?

I highly recommend fixing it with whatever version of the HCU that you can get your hands on, keep the invoices and hope for a mandatory reimbursement. Supposedly the -AB revision of the pump fixes this issue. I am still running my 3rd -AA pump. All of mine have lasted about 30k miles, so you should at least get that much life out of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211_082420_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231211_082420_Samsung Internet.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Cheesman has a fairly good video up.

baraklee263

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Cheesman has a fairly good video up.

Great video. Does anyone know if that motor can be pulled with the blocked still hooked up to the truck? Sure would be easier than fighting all the lines… maybe it’s not that bad but it looks like a pita

Paul71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,
I just bought a new replacement HCU for my 18 2500 on eBay that was sold to me as the “AB” (superseded) part. It showed up today in the correct box but the packaging appeared a bit suspect. I tried looking up all of the ID numbers on the unit but nothing comes back. Is there a way to identify if this as an AA or AB? It was a small fortune so want to ensure I’m getting the part I paid for.
Thanks
Paul

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It should have the part number on the actual part. If it doesn't, I would assume that it isn't genuine and return it.

Most of the time I'd say try it but the brake system is the one system on the whole truck where I dont play with stuff.

Paul71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should have the part number on the actual part. If it doesn't, I would assume that it isn't genuine and return it.

Most of the time I'd say try it but the brake system is the one system on the whole truck where I dont play with stuff.
There is a part # on the HCU, but it’s not the “AB” number. It starts with a K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat