2019? 4th or 5th gen??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic with 5.7 liter engine. how do i find out which generation my truck is. Every 2019 ram truck ive seen has the new front end (grill). Mine is old classic front end. Manufacture date is 12/20. There are a lot of differences between my truck and the owners manual. Feels like the manual is for a newer truck.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Classic is 4th Gen, non classic is 5th. If you look at the 4th gens in pictures, it's unmistakable. They look exactly the same. The 5th Gen has more generic, smoother front end.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Classics and Gen 4 have model numbers (1500, etc) on front doors, Gen 5 has it on side of hood.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Real easy to tell 5th gens look ugly an cheap and 4th gens don't:Big Laugh:

You're not wrong. My dad purchased a 5th gen a while back and as I was looking at it I noticed that the doors sounded weird when I closed them. I took a closer look and realized most of the truck was plastic! The doors, front end, rear fenders, front fenders, (cant remember if the hood was plastic) but it was insane to me. I know Ford was doing an aluminum body, but now Ram had to one-up them and do plastic instead. I don't ever want a 5th gen after finding that out.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're not wrong. My dad purchased a 5th gen a while back and as I was looking at it I noticed that the doors sounded weird when I closed them. I took a closer look and realized most of the truck was plastic! The doors, front end, rear fenders, front fenders, (cant remember if the hood was plastic) but it was insane to me. I know Ford was doing an aluminum body, but now Ram had to one-up them and do plastic instead. I don't ever want a 5th gen after finding that out.

Yea il never own a 5th gen they dont look like a Ram/Truck at all to me more like a cheap plastic toyota. Lmao

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is high tech, high impact plastic panels really a bad thing?

https://www.osborneindustries.com/news/impact-resistant-plastics/

GM's Saturn car had plastic body panels, and that was way, way back in 1990, IIRC. The Saturn never really caught on but I don't remember the plastic panels being the issue.

I would think a plastic body panel engineered in 2020 would be an outstanding product that I would trust. FCA does their homework, RAM sales prove it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is high tech, high impact plastic panels really a bad thing?

https://www.osborneindustries.com/news/impact-resistant-plastics/

GM's Saturn car had plastic body panels, and that was way, way back in 1990, IIRC. The Saturn never really caught on but I don't remember the plastic panels being the issue.

I would think a plastic body panel engineered in 2020 would be an outstanding product that I would trust. FCA does their homework, RAM sales prove it.
Less to rust! My cousin had a Saturn, and it held up with his abuse. In fact, he had two in a row. I had a Pontiac Fiero, those panels held very well. Only problem was I had a magnetic mount antenna for my bag cell phone, and the only metal to stick it on was the handle for the sunroof. Guess that explains a lot, what with 6 watts running next to my head (handle on inside that is).

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Classics would continue to be 4th gens for as long as FCA continues to make them as Classics. 2019, 2020 and i think we have a 2021 coming that will be Classic. Ty FCA/Mopar to make it possible.