2019 HD 6.4L valve/lifter rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi, I am new to the forums and would like to ask a question. I purchased a 2019 2500 HD 6.4L Tradesman pickup in March of 2020. The truck has just over 6,000 miles on it today. I did not notice the noise at the dealership when I purchased the truck. The truck was brought to me and was warmed up when I first test drove it. This is my first RAM pickup. I love it but am concerned about the noise.
I am hearing a lifter or valve rattle on each cold start. This has been going on since I first drove it after getting it home. The noise lasts around 4-5 minutes. Once the truck engine is warmed up, the noise goes away and I do not hear it until the next cold start.
If anyone knows about this, please reply to this post. I am trying to make arrangements with a Ram dealer now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Whatever that sound is, mine does the exact same thing with every start, oil change doesn’t change the sound. I don’t really let it warm up, but it is gone within a minute or so of driving down the street. I wonder if it is an exhaust tick, but no idea.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is it a tick/tap or something else? These engines do have an odd squeak/squeal coming from the driver side exhaust down pipe when cold and it’s nothing to worry about. I believe this is related to the EGR and resonance in the exhaust. A tapping or ticking lifter is probably one not pumping up adequately and that is a problem.

Have you changed your oil yet? If you’re following the dash it’s likely it hasn’t been done yet. I drive a lot of Hemi engines and they always get loud when the oil is about done and on a new engine that’s less than the factory recommended interval.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My 2020 2500 Tradesman 6.4L makes zero noises at startup whether warm or cold.

If you’ve only got 6,000 miles on it, take it in for the service shop to look at.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mine can be a little ticky upon cold start up....I've always attested it to being a hemi thing.

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like exhaust bolts once they heat up and expands and manifold seals=noise stops.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
My 6.4 is quiet with 6k miles, have it checked out.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Over 20,000 an no noise. Knock on wood.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just to mention it, the 6.4 squirts oil on the cylinder wall for more effective cooling. You have oil milage that is heavier than other engines. I add a half to three quarters quart every oci - appr 5000mi. If my oil is low, 3/4 quart happened twice, she's a noisy b, and like randomRam said when the oil it's near it's end of life, she chatters. Always goes quiet on fill or change.
This is all normal. I just received the results of my uoa and Blackstone Labs told me engine wear looks good at 85k mi and they extended my oci to 8000mi. (Previous wear at 45k mi recommendend oci at 5000mi) results made me giddy honestly.
If your at 6000 mi on the oil - check the level for your reference, then change it. You can take your truck to the dealer but really, more then likely, they're not going to anything except change your oil if it's at 6000mi. Might not even do that if evic says you have life left in it. I'd rather do it myself anyway (until its running down my arm)lol.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No noise on mine, sounds like it has headers when it starts, nice and throaty. Bought it with 6400 miles, just cracked 7000 miles.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmmm, so it knocked and ticked at the dealer and you still bought it??? NOT! The HEMI "tick" is a myth! I have a 6.4 and it is silent... if it had a tick or started having a tick I would drag it to the dealer and tell them to PROVE to me there is not issue... If it ticks, knocks, or bangs.. THERE IS A PROBLEM... Take it back and make them fix it.. Also... take an oil sample to see what wear metals are in the oil!

Crenshawck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having similar issue on 2020 6.4, but it’s during acceleration. On moderate to heavy throttle I get a faint sewing machine noise that sounds like it comes from the top of the engine bay to me. Don’t hear it during idle. Normal injector or valve train noise? Dealer claims it’s normal.

Fillman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6/7 HO 6.7
Use premium fuel. 89 octane is what it calls for. Owners manual describes what you are hearing if you use 87.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I have a 2019 2500 with the 6.4l. It does occasionally knock/rattle for a few seconds on some cold starts. But...... when it is driven a short distance, and shut down... that next restart is GUARANTEED to have a lifter rattle.... Dealer said it is normal.... I said it sounds like half assed lifter assemblies that bleed down..... I can see if it sits for 3 months... but not after it was just ran... They have issues with the MDS and have notoriously had issues with the lifters and roller bearings on the same..... Its soon being replaced by a 3500 6.7 HO.... so... issue will be solved...

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having similar issue on 2020 6.4, but it’s during acceleration. On moderate to heavy throttle I get a faint sewing machine noise that sounds like it comes from the top of the engine bay to me. Don’t hear it during idle. Normal injector or valve train noise? Dealer claims it’s normal.
May be some spark knock, if you use poor quality ( not name brand fuel) it can cause it. I have only used 89 octane in hot and humid weather when hauling a load but other than that have never had an issue. It could be the brand of gas you are using. As previously suggested, try the 89 and see if it goes away. If you are hauling or pulling a lot of hills... could be the issue.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Do some searching on the 4th gen forum. There are guys on there that have changed to a different oil & said it has worked for their noisy lifters. The 6.4 is know for these sounds, no matter what one guy on here says! There also have been issues with the manifold bolts. Not as bad as the 5.7 but there has been some. Wouldn't hurt to take it back to the dealer since it is under warranty. Likely he will tell you they all are like that. And likely he could get at least half of the 6.4 trucks to do it on the lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990