2020 RAM 1500 V6 Impressions after driving 6,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsherv

Reaction score
Several months ago I replaced my 2008 Honda Ridgeline with a 2020 RAM 1500 with the 3.6L V6 and 3.55 differential 4x4 (Big Horn Level 1). The truck only had 10,000 miles on it and was still under factory warranty. The truck was basically new and I was able to pick it up from a dealer for under $34,000. I primarily use this truck (suburban home owner) as a commuter vehicle (40 miles round trip to work). I also pull a 17' hard side camper cross-country (about 3,000 Lbs), and pull a 17' boat. You could say my truck usage is fairly light duty. I'm not using this as a work truck or pulling really heavy loads. I live in Wisconsin so I also have winter driving to contend with.

I did a lot of research about the V6 before I bought the truck, and really saw mixed reviews. I also saw a lot of inaccurate information. Because of that, I thought I would document my impressions as other prospective buyers may be looking for an opinion. So here we go with a few thoughts:

1) I absolutely love this truck. It rides and drives very nice, it's quiet, spacious, good technology, etc.

2) The V6 is more than enough power for me. Yes, I'm sure the V8 would be fun, but I just don't need it. Most of my drive to work is 70 MPH roads. The V6 meets my needs just fine. I believe I would have paid at least a $6,000 premium for the V8 in a truck the same age, same miles, etc. To me, it wasn't worth it.

3) Gas mileage - If I set the cruise on the highway at 65 MPH (rolling hills) I've gotten as much as 26 MPG. The unfortunate part is I'm not patient. I usually set the cruise at 80 MPH (on a 70 MPH road) and my MPG drops to about 17 to 18 MPG. Between highway and city driving I've been averaging about 18 MPG. Again, I have a bit of a lead foot. If I were motivated to maximize MPG, the truck is very capable of it. The terrain I driving is what I would call "rolling hills". It's not flat, but not steep hills.

4) One thing all of the reviews got right: throttle lag. For the sake of maximizing MPG, the acceleration has a bit of a slow start / Lag. I do find it a bit annoying. I know there are devices that will improve the throttle response, but it doesn't annoy me that badly. Again, most of my driving is on the highway with the cruise control on. The throttle lag is probably my biggest irritation. One other irritation is I've experienced gas pump shutoff's while filling my gas tank. That seems to be a common complaint as well.

Considering the condition of the truck, the miles, and the price I paid for it, I find it to be an absolute value. I would recommend the V6 to anyone who was going to use the truck in a way similar to me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Several months ago I replaced my 2008 Honda Ridgeline with a 2020 RAM 1500 with the 3.6L V6 and 3.55 differential 4x4 (Big Horn Level 1). The truck only had 10,000 miles on it and was still under factory warranty. The truck was basically new and I was able to pick it up from a dealer for under $34,000. I primarily use this truck (suburban home owner) as a commuter vehicle (40 miles round trip to work). I also pull a 17' hard side camper cross-country (about 3,000 Lbs), and pull a 17' boat. You could say my truck usage is fairly light duty. I'm not using this as a work truck or pulling really heavy loads. I live in Wisconsin so I also have winter driving to contend with.

I did a lot of research about the V6 before I bought the truck, and really saw mixed reviews. I also saw a lot of inaccurate information. Because of that, I thought I would document my impressions as other prospective buyers may be looking for an opinion. So here we go with a few thoughts:

1) I absolutely love this truck. It rides and drives very nice, it's quiet, spacious, good technology, etc.

2) The V6 is more than enough power for me. Yes, I'm sure the V8 would be fun, but I just don't need it. Most of my drive to work is 70 MPH roads. The V6 meets my needs just fine. I believe I would have paid at least a $6,000 premium for the V8 in a truck the same age, same miles, etc. To me, it wasn't worth it.

3) Gas mileage - If I set the cruise on the highway at 65 MPH (rolling hills) I've gotten as much as 26 MPG. The unfortunate part is I'm not patient. I usually set the cruise at 80 MPH (on a 70 MPH road) and my MPG drops to about 17 to 18 MPG. Between highway and city driving I've been averaging about 18 MPG. Again, I have a bit of a lead foot. If I were motivated to maximize MPG, the truck is very capable of it. The terrain I driving is what I would call "rolling hills". It's not flat, but not steep hills.

4) One thing all of the reviews got right: throttle lag. For the sake of maximizing MPG, the acceleration has a bit of a slow start / Lag. I do find it a bit annoying. I know there are devices that will improve the throttle response, but it doesn't annoy me that badly. Again, most of my driving is on the highway with the cruise control on. The throttle lag is probably my biggest irritation. One other irritation is I've experienced gas pump shutoff's while filling my gas tank. That seems to be a common complaint as well.

Considering the condition of the truck, the miles, and the price I paid for it, I find it to be an absolute value. I would recommend the V6 to anyone who was going to use the truck in a way similar to me.
The six cyl is an amazing engine. Most on the forum are happy with their pentastar. Congrats and enjoy.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We're happy to hear this! Thanks for sharing your awesome feedback. If you ever have any questions or need any assistance, please reach out to us! We're available via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a '22 with the V6. I'm at 4,500 miles and no regrets. I have a pretty light foot so I'm getting great gas mileage around my suburban town with a lot of stop and go; computer is telling me 22.4mpg.

I did a little research before I chose this engine over the Hemi and it seems to be very well regarded in terms of reliability. That was the overriding factor for me. I didn't want all the fuel management crap like cylinder deactivation, start/stop and whatever else they're doing that ruins good engines. Also, I didn't want a turbo like some of the competing models have. Just a good, naturally aspirated engine.

I should mention that I don't tow so I didn't need the added power the V8 provides. I'd be very curious to hear your impression when you tow your camper or boat. I have the 3.55 diff as well so I have the option of towing a small camper in the future.

OP
OP
T

tsherv

Reaction score
As for towing, I pull a 3,000 LB Rpod travel trailer. It tows fine, but at the end of the day, it still feels like you are pulling a parachute. Even though it's a light trailer, you still feel the wind resistance. It pulls better than my Ridgeline did, but I can still feel it back there. Traveling 65 MPH while towing, it seems like I get between 10 and 12 MPG.

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
I've got the 6 with 20k ish miles... runs like a clock; does everything i want it to, and I too get 26 when being grandma. Super quiet. Only time I'd want another engine for sure is living in the mountains or if I towed a heavy rig. Next truck will just be best deal regardless... but i'd take the 6 again in a heartbeat.

Jim welsh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 and I pull a 4000 lb tt and it does very well mileage not that great but it does very well

Revchuck38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I’ve got a 2020 Ram 1500 Tradesman with the V6 and just turned over 61k miles. It just runs. :) No issues with it, I’ve replaced the tires at 52k and just recently replaced the battery. Mileage is usually 22-23 mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 70-75. The only towing I’ve done was with the larger U-Haul single axle trailer from south Louisiana to Las Vegas; mileage varied from ~19 mpg on the flat to 12.5 mpg in west Texas against a 25-30 mph headwind. I’m pretty pleased with the truck!

olblueballs2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Just got a 2020 1500 classic warlock v6 and im in love with it. Gonna get some bigger tires a small lift and stepsides. The power is plenty for me and i havent towed anything but the bed is big enough for my families kayaks!

Torqueflite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Have a 2016 V6 with 250K on it just havin to replace engine but it has been a great truck. Average about 22 mpg at mostly highway driving ay 80 ish. Does have highest gears.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You might even play with different brands/ octanes of gasoline to see if those vary the lag. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Huliodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a ‘22 4th gen v6 with 3.55 gears and it’s great. I don’t tow much but carry some dirt bikes with it and use it as a daily driver. Had the Hemi before this and while it made a lot more power, I didn’t need it and prefer the better fuel economy, and no mds vibes.