2021 Durango v 1500 towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ourlee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello,
My wife and I just retired and want to hit the road for some fun. Our 2 sons live in Los Angeles so the plan is to travel from Thanksgiving to spring, we’d do 5k+ miles a trip.
We’ve owned lots of Dodge trucks and my wife never felt comfortable driving them. To make this work financially, we’d sell/trade her Mazda CX-5 and the towing vehicle would become her DD.
So now there’s the 21 Durango 5.7 with tow and go, a possible solution (I want the Laramie 1500 crew 3.92)
with an advertised tow rating of 8700 lbs. The payload looks pretty good (moms, the pooch and me are 450lbs) but the rear is a scrawny 3.09
Wheelbase is 120” and the Durango weighs 5500lbs. Hp/Tq is 360/390.
So my question to you is how heavy and how long a travel trailer would you cross country tow with the tow and go 21 Durango? I’ve attached the specs of our fav. trailer. If you have toy hauler brand suggestions, please share. Also, we would not be putting toys in the toy hauler, moms just likes the open floor plan.
Thanks so much.
Rick in NJ
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-le-travel-trailers/250THLE.html

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If memory serves, that Durango's tow rating is right at about what 3rd gens with hemis had. Ironically the Durango weighs a bit more than my 2003 lol. Figure with gear & liquid load you'll be right around 7000lbs. Having towed about that much halfway across the country, I'm betting the extra 25hp/15tq won't hurt, and even with the 3.09 gears, you're forgetting about the ZF 8sp's gear ratio spread. Has one helluva 1st gear ratio to get moving, the only issues I see is what it will do at highway speeds with the two OD gears.; does it have a tow mode or anything? Also how does it actually handle towing that kind of weight at speed? I imagine it's gonna be significantly different than a truck but will it give the warm and fuzzies that all is well along the way? My 2¢

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Keep in mind toy haulers are usually nose heavy % wise until you load a toy into them. Being the toy is behind the trailer axles it lightens the tongue.
The shorter wheelbase of the Durango is what would make towing longer heavier loads less stable/comfortable. Having a taller axle ratio isn't desirable while towing grades either.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind toy haulers are usually nose heavy % wise until you load a toy into them. Being the toy is behind the trailer axles it lightens the tongue.
The shorter wheelbase of the Durango is what would make towing longer heavier loads less stable/comfortable. Having a taller axle ratio isn't desirable while towing grades either.
I agree. The shorter wheelbase would be my main concern but the payload would be a factor to, especially with a toy hauler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990